Need a new source - help! Computer? DAC? USB vs. optical
Sep 27, 2008 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

joe_seattle

Head-Fier
Ok, I'm making it more dramatic than it really is...but essentially: my current setup sounds terrific, but isn't so flexible - Sony DVP-S7000 DVD Player --> Darkvoice 336i --> HD600 w/Cardas Cable --> my less than perfect ears. The sound quality is excellent, but I am getting tired of swapping out CDs since I prefer to mix up selections and not listen to one artist straight through - and all those burned CDs I have are getting tired too.

What I want is a setup where I can mix-up playlists like in itunes/ipod, but retain the very good sound quality. I have an ipod, but the 30gb drive is just about full of lossless files with not a lot of room left to add new content. For some reason, it's buggy too and tends to skip the track I select and go to the next one. It's annoying enough that I avoid using it.

What is a good option for me?

A few choices I've considered:

1. Cheapo laptop with an external hard drive for extra room, using the USB out to an Alien DAC.
  2. Some smallish player like a Cowon and using the optical out to some kind of optical input DAC. Recommendations for the player and DAC?
  3. Buying a newer ipod and using the Wadia itransport. Thoughts on this? Can you easily navigate the ipod when it’s plugged in and create new play lists while the music is going?

I would prefer to spend <$500 for the total solution, especially given that I am very happy with my current sound, but want a little more “comfort” in listening. I mean, if it’s a pain in the ass to fuss with getting the music playing, then listening becomes a bit less fun. Any recommendation would be greater appreciated! Thanks! -Joe

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 3
Wadia's iTransport (extract music from iPod bypassing the internal DAC) and a bigger iPod? But if that bugging is caused by something else than low diskspace, it won't solve problems. Oh, you mentioned it already. I eyed the first two ones .)

With a laptop or similar, and an USB dac you can get very good results. These lappies they sell these days hold enough space to store large collections of lossless backups -- but with $500 you won't get decent laptop + usb dac combo, I'm afraid. Still, to me it would be pretty good deal. You could start by buying a cheap lappy and use its line outs until you can afford an USB dac.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 3
Well since I assume you made your post on a computer
wink.gif
, instead of buying a new laptop could you could go the wireless Squeezebox (SqueezeCenter) or Airport Express (iTunes) solution with your existing comp? The former is a decent DAC itself and both can be improved by spending a couple hundred on a vintage DAC off eBay/Audiogon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back