Need a New Router
Mar 7, 2009 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
My router is slowly starting to take a crap on me. It works fine, but lately it's been quasi-randomly going bonkers on me and I've been needing to power cycle the router once (sometimes twice) a week in order to get it back to normal. I'm figuring it's only a matter of time before it decides it doesn't want to come back, so now would probably be a good time to invest in a replacement.

The problem is that I haven't shopped for a router in years and I have no idea what's good anymore because I haven't really been keeping up with the technology. Anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I'd like a gigabit-capable router. Wireless really doesn't matter to me because I don't use it for anything.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 33
To some extent you get what you pay for. My old SMC and Belkin routers would drop SSH connections after a few hours, my current Cisco 870 is rock-solid. It'd better be, considering it cost 4 times as much...

I would recommend going for a router that can be upgraded with one of the open-source firmwares like OpenWrt, DD-WRT or Tomato. These alternative firmwares usually have more features, better UI (specially Tomato) and fewer bugs than the manufacturer-supplied ones.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend going for a router that can be upgraded with one of the open-source firmwares like OpenWrt, DD-WRT or Tomato. These alternative firmwares usually have more features, better UI (specially Tomato) and fewer bugs than the manufacturer-supplied ones.

x2.

I personally prefer DD-WRT and I always recommend Linksys' WRT-54GL. That L is VERY important.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 33
Get a dlink dir655 or if you game a dgl 4500. I have owned many different brands of routers. The linksys flagship(I dont remember its serial name) was really unreliable and kept filling its memory causing lag needing to be rebooted. The lower end linksys dont seem to be to bad though if you dont want to spend a lot. The dlinks, especially the dir655 on up are set it up once and not worry about them again.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a dlink dir655 or if you game a dgl 4500. I have owned many different brands of routers. The linksys flagship(I dont remember its serial name) was really unreliable and kept filling its memory causing lag needing to be rebooted. The lower end linksys dont seem to be to bad though if you dont want to spend a lot. The dlinks, especially the dir655 on up are set it up once and not worry about them again.

x2 on the DIR655
I have used this router as well for over 2 years *I think*. It's been great and very solid. The control panel gives you a lot of options.

I just found out yesterday there was new firmware and updated. The newest firmware update allows you to share USB devices between Windows machines and also has a 2nd Guest Wireless setting that you can set up to allow guests internet access but not access to your network.

However, I am not a networking wiz so a lot of the settings are over my head...

I also have an Apple Time Capsule. This thing is very solid and so easy to use. I would assume the AirPort Extreme is just as easy. If I had to buy a new router today... I would get one of the new Time Capsules in a heartbeat. You can use the AirPort utility on both Mac's and PCs.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 33
FWIW, I am not happy with the Apple Time Capsule's reliability. I have to reboot mine every other week or so as it seizes up. My Airport Extreme (with 802.11n) is much more reliable. The new ones have dual radios so you can use 5GHz (faster, less crowded) and 2.4GHz (for legacy 802.11g devices) simultaneously from a single router.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I am not happy with the Apple Time Capsule's reliability. I have to reboot mine every other week or so as it seizes up. My Airport Extreme (with 802.11n) is much more reliable. The new ones have dual radios so you can use 5GHz (faster, less crowded) and 2.4GHz (for legacy 802.11g devices) simultaneously from a single router.

Wow. I haven't had to reboot my Time Capsule ever.... Is it possible your is defective? Are you still under warranty so you can exchange it?

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 33
My Airport Extreme has been reliable for several years but i sure like the new ones with
dual radios may even think about Time Capsule.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 33
I've found heat is the biggest killer of routers. Quite why they have to give off so much I dont know but they all do. So a bigger box and plenty of vents is a good indicator for me.

I even have my router on a timer switch so it switches off for 8 hours a day. Gives it a rest, saves power and a new IP addy everyday.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 33
Do you need increased speeds of N?
If not, then head to the closest offical T-Mobile store and grab the WRT54G-TM. $19.99 + tax, and put DD-WRT Mega on that thing. (or tomato. I like tomato better.)
You'll have a rock solid router.
Btw, if they give you some BS, then just leave and come back another day.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 33
Get one that allows you to put on DDWRT. I was getting fed up with my Linksys dropping connection and overall being a POS until I switched to DDWRT and now its peachy clean.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearpoweredpenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had 2 NetGear routers that just stopped working.

Same here. was a good brand in the 90's but not anymore. I had one die way before it's time also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearpoweredpenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Linksys routers have always held up well, and one even survived an encounter with cat urine.

No way! Same here a cat pissed on my Linksys also and still continued to work ~ what are the chances? LOL
Mine was the WET54G ethernet bridge...

However, I have gotten lots of drops on this device even before the cat piss. Also notice the drop outs on friends' networks that use Linksys...

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #15 of 33
Its swings and ladders. I've had two Linksys routers die on me over the years (average life expectancy 2 years).

Now using the thrown in no name router that came from my ISP and its been working solid for 3 years+.

I have a super-duper $500+ Cisco router sitting in my workroom but its so tricky to setup (it doesnt have the web setup utility installed) that it just sits gathering dust. Shame as I bet it would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back