Need a new Portable Amp
Mar 5, 2017 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

liquidzoo

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm in need of a new portable amplifier.

My E17 that I bought from here (used) has served me well, but it seems that it has died a noble death. It doesn't seem to hold a charge longer than a gnat's fart, and the LCD doesn't turn on at all.

I find myself in need of a new portable amp.

This would be used exclusively for travel (so likely not that often) so I'm not looking to spend a ton. My Beyerdynamic DT770s will be the headphones driven.

I'd like for it to have a battery life longer than a blink. That's really about it.

It will be driven by an LG G5 (not ideal, but it's what I have) so likely out of the headphone jack unless I can find something that works USB-C to whatever input it uses.

I thought about a FiiO X1, but see that it doesn't have an amp of its own so that likely rules it out.

I've thought about the FiiO A3 and the Little Bear B4 (which I know nothing about and have not seen on this site), but I'm curious about other recommendations.

One caveat: I'm traveling this weekend. Amazon Prime would be ideal.

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 8
The E-12 is one powerful amp for sure but For a few bucks more the A-5 is a better choice as it is more or less the E-12 and E-12A in one . You get the power of the E-12 and low noise floor of the E-12A.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 8
I thought about the A5. I've also thought about getting a newer E17K and getting a K5 somewhere down the road; but I don't know if the E17K/E07K are going to be the next to be upgraded and I'd miss out on something.

But I also know that I likely won't be using it all that often (travel only) so I'm not sure I can justify the cost over the A3 or Q1.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 8
I thought about the A5. I've also thought about getting a newer E17K and getting a K5 somewhere down the road; but I don't know if the E17K/E07K are going to be the next to be upgraded and I'd miss out on something.

But I also know that I likely won't be using it all that often (travel only) so I'm not sure I can justify the cost over the A3 or Q1.
If you were happy with the E17K that might be the way to go then.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 8
If you were happy with the E17K that might be the way to go then.

The one I had was the E17 (non K version). I was generally happy with it until the screen started to burn in badly and the battery life tanked. I have an E09K too, and it's a bummer to get rid of it (though right now it's connected via spdif to my sound card), though I've wanted to upgrade for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back