Need a new pair. Please help suggest
Sep 29, 2014 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sanman99

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,guys. I'm sad to say that I'm out of headphones and I'm still saving up for an upgrade to my home speakers because my VSX-30 feels too good for the cheap stuff. First, my ATH-M50s tip broke off some time ago, but they have gotten so loose from being in boxes over the last year or so that it's not my priority to figure out how to fix them.
I have a pair of Klipsch S4 somewhere I can't find. I have some of those Monoprice earphones, but the cord is always tangling and the design is frustrating.
When my Sansa Clip started getting loose on the stereo connection, I had nothing good on hand to fix it and ended up messing it up (nevermind). I later realized that my beloved S5i were actually the problem. I should have known because the tip kept getting stuck and detaching in the ports.
So, guys, I'm out of anything to use worthwhile. I'm gonna get my favorite Clip+ if I find a good price.
I don't know what to describe as my sound preference and I honestly listen to everything. I might just use this for working out and I'll get full-size later this winter because I'm starting night shift being nocturnal and have to not wake anyone in my apartment while I watch movies on my computer.

I want something rugged like those beautiful S5i. I want to workout by clipping a Rockboxed Clip+ to my tank top and wrap this cord around my neck to not have it dangling. Hey, well, it's how I roll :)
I would probably be happy with anything new to try. I don't know if earphones ever have open designs, but I might consider it. I listen to electronic, rap, hip-hop, and pop. Other stuff,too, but the four above is most of it.

Let me know if you have suggestions. Thanks in advance. I hope I gave enough info (and not way too much background).

Edit: As always, my price range is flexible. I don't mind getting a low price with value, but I'm always happy when I go a bit over what I expected to budget. Since I'm planning on full-size headphones and/or new speakers, I probably want to keep this in a comfortable budget similar to what my others have been. I definitely don't want to go over $200 but not under $50. If the sound benefit is little compared to rather spending more on headphones, please keep this in mind. In other words, these might be my main thing for music, but I don't want to spend an extra $20 if the benefit is small compared to if I used that towards my other headphone budget.
Actually, what if I combine the budgets? Though, I'd be more worried if these broke, but I want rugged ones.
If you think the benefit becomes a better value per dollar. If you convince me, I will combine the budgets. If I ever get around to getting speakers this year, however, I already have them picked out and I cannot ween from this (I might not even get any, because I have other priorities).

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 8

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 8
RHA MA-750 (750i if you want phone controls) or Yamaha EPH-100 come to mind as excellent sounding and rugged IEMs that would be perfect for the genres you mentioned. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 8
I Googled both of those for pricing and reviews. I'll do some more examining, but I'd also like to ask how you'd describe the 2 IEMs.
Is one more geared towards comfort, ruggedness, a different sound profile? Do you have anything to say about the cords or tips or sound, maybe any other idea how I should choose?

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 8
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/rha-ma750-ma750i/
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/yamaha-eph-100/

You might want to ask about them in Joker's thread too.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks! I came across the RHA page, but didn't see the Yamaha. I'll be sure to take a closer look. Getting a bit dizzy with all the descriptions, so have to take a break.
I'm trying to weigh out different people's experiences and perspectives. I might even look at Amazon reviews for more perspectives on fitness usability.

You've really helped and I'm expecting to enjoy whichever of these 2 I end up with.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 8
No problem. I'm sure you'll enjoy them, whichever you choose. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 8
I was considering pasting my research for any future buyers, but I'm on a smartphone and, quite frankly, not up for it.

From what my tiring eyes are perceiving on this small screen, my decision might come down to form versus sound. The RHA pair seem to come with amazing build quality and physical aspects. As for sound, a number of people prefer Yamaha for what I think was something along the lines of less veil, more balance and soundstage, less emphasis on treble, but by no means quote me on that at all. I mean, it's something along those lines and I might be in the mood for RHA after having Klipsch and Audio-Technica as in my first post.

I wish there were a way to practically demo something. There might be a headphone place town or maybe I can make friends with a local Head-Fi'er to try on headphones with similar sound.
Since I'm looking for something for fitness and durability, along with the sound signature I'm not sure if it might be my preference maybe, I think, between the two, my decision might be the RHA.
The Yamaha costs a bit more which I could invest in other things. I might not want that sounds profile until I buy a nice big pair of headphones. The sound profile on the RHA might be great for giving me that pump and I'll save "smooth soundstage" for another day.

Ok! All this research is becoming a hobby. Now another dozen product decisions for my apartment and health pursuit. Maybe it's worth the effort when such a thoroughly-vetted item arrives in mail. Can't wait to order this piece.
I think it'll fit the budget and I'm glad I can always count on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back