Need a new pair of IEMs
Oct 16, 2007 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Shike

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I need some opinions on what to do here.

I was in a car accident rather recently, and my Super.Fi 3's were destroyed (armiture damaged on right).

So I'm wondering, what should I get to replace them with? They had decent bass response, but I'm wondering if there's a new "best bang for the buck IEM" contender out there. It's necessary that it has removable cabling though, as those always tend to go bad with me at the healm.

Any thoughts and suggestions? My budget hits $125 tops.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 11
with replaceable wiring? the super.fi's were the only ones i knew that had that...

maybe someone else can help?

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 11
ER-4s sound amazing, and have replaceable cables, but it's difficult (but not impossible) to find a used pair for $125. Also, they may not be best if you're looking for bass. In my experience, the bass improves noticeably with amping (at least with the ER-4S, not sure about ER-4P), but your budget may not support that.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-4s sound amazing, and have replaceable cables, but it's difficult (but not impossible) to find a used pair for $125. Also, they may not be best if you're looking for bass. In my experience, the bass improves noticeably with amping (at least with the ER-4S, not sure about ER-4P), but your budget may not support that.

What about the new Shures I've been seeing? Supposedly they are modular, and I believe the Westones are too?

Has anyone had experience with these?

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 11
Why not call UE and see if they'll replace it...was the accident your fault? If not tell them what happened and i'm 98% sure they'll replace it for you. And if you even want a new color i bet they'll do taht too.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not call UE and see if they'll replace it...was the accident your fault? If not tell them what happened and i'm 98% sure they'll replace it for you. And if you even want a new color i bet they'll do taht too.

Currently the home owner's insurance is taking care of everything. Since there's already $3000+ electronics they're already replacing (my lap, my brand new PC tower I built up, PMP, DS), the cost of my IEMs is a drop in the barrel. Still, I'm just glad I'm alive
cool.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 11
I recommend a pair of used er-4s as well. Those might be hard to find, but you could also go with the altec lansing iems that are very similar. I can't remember exactly what they're called.

Edit: I'm not sure if the altec lansings have replaceable cabling though.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently the home owner's insurance is taking care of everything. Since there's already $3000+ electronics they're already replacing (my lap, my brand new PC tower I built up, PMP, DS), the cost of my IEMs is a drop in the barrel. Still, I'm just glad I'm alive
cool.gif

yes, if anything it would be sad to lose a fellow head-fier, but still give ue a call if the insurance doesn't cover it, then it'll be a back up pair.

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 11
The new Shure's are modular to some extent. They split off from the main length of cable at the y junction so you can chose the length of cable or if you want to use the microphone for the iPhone.

I second the ER4P recommendation. The sound is beautifully flat.

Nicholas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back