Need a new headphones/headset for gaming
Jun 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Indirect

New Head-Fier
Hello!

First of all I want to say that im pretty clueless on this subject.

I usually use alot of time reading up on things before making purchases. I have been looking at typical gaming headsets like astro A50. I have since read
several places that typical music headphones offers more for the same price. It was alot harder than i thought it would be to make this purchase, and I 
felt like I was drowning a bit in information. 

I currently have a Logitech g930, which I think has worked ok for me, but they are now starting to falter.

I use my headset for 80% gaming, 10% movies and 10% music. Im using voip several hours every day, so I would need a decent mic.

My budget is up to around 300$, but cheaper would ofcourse be better for my purse. 

I don't do much competative FPS gaming. I mostly play games like League of legends, Diablo and Wildstar. 

any suggestions to what i should buy?

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 9
  Hello!

First of all I want to say that im pretty clueless on this subject.

I usually use alot of time reading up on things before making purchases. I have been looking at typical gaming headsets like astro A50. I have since read
several places that typical music headphones offers more for the same price. It was alot harder than i thought it would be to make this purchase, and I
felt like I was drowning a bit in information.

I currently have a Logitech g930, which I think has worked ok for me, but they are now starting to falter.

I use my headset for 80% gaming, 10% movies and 10% music. Im using voip several hours every day, so I would need a decent mic.

My budget is up to around 300$, but cheaper would ofcourse be better for my purse.

I don't do much competative FPS gaming. I mostly play games like League of legends, Diablo and Wildstar.

any suggestions to what i should buy?

Do you want wireless like the A50?  Sounds like you're on PC, probably desktop, so wireless isn't important.  Also sounds like you can use a desktop mic to not worry about getting a headset vs good headphones.  Further, it sounds like you don't care about virtual surround since the games you mentioned don't really benefit from it.

Honestly, sounds like you'd be perfectly happy with a Sennheiser PC360 headset.  Might read up on that a bit.

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 9
  Do you want wireless like the A50?  Sounds like you're on PC, probably desktop, so wireless isn't important.  Also sounds like you can use a desktop mic to not worry about getting a headset vs good headphones.  Further, it sounds like you don't care about virtual surround since the games you mentioned don't really benefit from it.

Honestly, sounds like you'd be perfectly happy with a Sennheiser PC360 headset.  Might read up on that a bit.

Yes, im on a desktop PC. I like having wireless like I have now with the G930, but its not a requirement. You are right about the surround. Is it this one you are talking about? 

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 9

Yes, im on a desktop PC. I like having wireless like I have now with the G930, but its not a requirement. You are right about the surround. Do you mean the one with a mic called SENNHEISER PC 360 G4ME? (I can't post link because of forum permissions)

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 9

Yes, im on a desktop PC. I like having wireless like I have now with the G930, but its not a requirement. You are right about the surround. Do you mean the one with a mic called SENNHEISER PC 360 G4ME? (I can't post link because of forum permissions)

The G4ME One is an updated version of the older PC360, IIRC.  I just looked at Amazon and realized that the PC360 is $300 right now.  Last I checked it was $160.  The G4ME One is now $190 so obviously a better choice.

That said, I don't know whether it's worth that much.  I haven't heard it, personally.  Have you looked through MLE's thread?  Ignore the "competitive gaming" rating and look for "fun" ones.  The Fidelio X1 is easy to recommend; though it's like $232 on Amazon, it's a great can.  You can easily add a Vmoda Boom-pro mic for one of the best all-around headset solutions for the money.

You're going to give up a lot to get wireless so I wouldn't recommend it.  By that I mean spending $X on a wireless vs a wired setup, the wired setup will always sound better.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 9
  The G4ME One is an updated version of the older PC360, IIRC.  I just looked at Amazon and realized that the PC360 is $300 right now.  Last I checked it was $160.  The G4ME One is now $190 so obviously a better choice.

That said, I don't know whether it's worth that much.  I haven't heard it, personally.  Have you looked through MLE's thread?  Ignore the "competitive gaming" rating and look for "fun" ones.  The Fidelio X1 is easy to recommend; though it's like $232 on Amazon, it's a great can.  You can easily add a Vmoda Boom-pro mic for one of the best all-around headset solutions for the money.

You're going to give up a lot to get wireless so I wouldn't recommend it.  By that I mean spending $X on a wireless vs a wired setup, the wired setup will always sound better.

Thanks alot for your help so far. 
I looked up the 360 G4ME on amazon myself and was confused at the 299 price, because i found them at 250 here in Norway, where prices are usually much higher than in the US. 
I was actually reading MLE's thread when i made this one. I was overwhelmed by all the information there, so I thought it would be best to let people with knowledge know my specific needs. 
The X1 looks nice from what I can see in MLE's thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back