Need a new DAP
Jan 20, 2006 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been wanting to get a new DAP for awhile now, but I'm just barely getting around to buying one. First off, the criteria:

20+ gigs of storage
Customizable EQ that doesn't distort (read: no iPod)
On-the-fly playlists (a plus, but not a must-have)
Tag-based navigation (another plus but not necessary)

Color screens, movie viewing, pictures and all that jazz are just frivilous extras in my mind. I want music, nothing more, nothing less. Right now I'm looking at the Creative Zen Sleek, iAudio X5L, Sony NW-HD5 and iRiver H10, but I'm open to suggestions.

On a side note: I actually pulled the trigger and ordered a vision:M last night, but promptly cancelled that order this morning when I discovered that it'd take one to two weeks to ship.

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 14
I answered my own question. I have a 60 gig iAudio X5 on its way.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 14
You may want to hold off on that X5. The EQ in it is pretty unusable IMO, unless you have fairly non-revealing headphones. The EQ cannot be pushed into loss, only into gain, so you can't use subtractive equalization to minimize distortion. On top of that, just engaging the EQ circuit introduces more noise into the system. The good news is that EQ really isn't all that necessary when your headphone synergy is right. Don't use bright headphones with it, since to my ears it is a pretty bright player. It does well with darker headphones. I'd suggest the e5c as a good match.

Also, you'll have to update the firmware on the X5 in order to support id3 tags. I don't like tags, I'd rather do folders, and the X5 is based around that.

I would have recommended this instead:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/P...P3_Player.html

But it is a very expensive player. Supposed to be the best sounding DAP currectly out, and I'll verify this when mine arrives.

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
You may want to hold off on that X5. The EQ in it is pretty unusable IMO, unless you have fairly non-revealing headphones. The EQ cannot be pushed into loss, only into gain, so you can't use subtractive equalization to minimize distortion. On top of that, just engaging the EQ circuit introduces more noise into the system. The good news is that EQ really isn't all that necessary when your headphone synergy is right. Don't use bright headphones with it, since to my ears it is a pretty bright player. It does well with darker headphones. I'd suggest the e5c as a good match.

Also, you'll have to update the firmware on the X5 in order to support id3 tags. I don't like tags, I'd rather do folders, and the X5 is based around that.

I would have recommended this instead:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/P...P3_Player.html

But it is a very expensive player. Supposed to be the best sounding DAP currectly out, and I'll verify this when mine arrives.

Do you even own an X5?
I have no problems with the EQ,
No noise and it only clips if you go mad with it (all bars +9 db and near max volume ect.)

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 14
He owns a X5.

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
He owns a X5.

Still, I have no big problems with the EQ.

This is Head-Fi, it is not like the guy will EQ his headphones to high hell.

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The D
Still, I have no big problems with the EQ.

This is Head-Fi, it is not like the guy will EQ his headphones to high hell.

catscratch said "...unless you have fairly non-revealing headphones." What are you using with your X5?

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
catscratch said "...unless you have fairly non-revealing headphones." What are you using with your X5?

ATH AD700,
They might not be as revealing as a HD600 and a very high end amp, but they are not that far behind.

All of the OP's headphones are less revealing than the AD700.

Is catscratch using one of his Stax with the X5?

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I answered my own question. I have a 60 gig iAudio X5 on its way.
biggrin.gif

You won't regret it. Especially if Rockbox gets around to making a firmware for it. Though I don't think you should expect anything soon. But the current firmware from iAudio aren't bad at all.

Jan 21, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 14
Does that mean the Kenwood doesn't play very loud?

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 14
I got my X5 yesterday, and so far I love it. No problems with the EQ so far, USB host works with both my camera and the mobiBlu Cube, sound quality is great, gaps are insignificant, and the hard drive size is perfect (I currently have 240 megs of free space). Definately worth the money.

Jan 27, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 14
Welcome to the club.
That 240MBs left is good for one CD rip.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back