Need a new DAC with Coax in , Speakers and Headphones out.
May 6, 2010 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

vinay

Head-Fier
I am new to DAC's and sound cards. Was planning on a sound card first for sourround sound but i fine and happy with wat my onboard audio produces for games and dont really find it necessay to buy a sound card, So looking for DAC for Music which is wat i listen to most of the time.
The DAC should have Coax in so that i can use my it connect it to my computer and  stereo Speakers "and" Headphones out.
My problem is there are lots of them and very pricey once. I was looking for one that is <$200.
Could you please point me to the right direction,would really help. I get more confused when i read more threads about more equipments.

Thank you all..

May 7, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 16
$200 is quite a limited budget. The difference in cost between a DAC and a soundcard is a rather expensive housing, and if the DAC's any good, a good additional power supply. 

May 8, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 16
DAC with speaker amp for 200USD is not available in my view. You may be able to get an integrated home theater amp for that money who would have a DAC of some sort....

May 9, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 16
The Fun is more like 330USD though?

May 9, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 16
Must have missed that one (the Audio GD Line up is honestly too confusing to me). Still, it does not drive speakers without a speaker amp

May 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 16
Truthfully speaking, you won't be able to find a quality DAC, or headphone amp, or speaker amp separately for <$200.  Maybe look at used old receivers with a headphone out but you're still missing a DAC. 

Maybe something like the Travagans Green:  It is slightly above your budget at $220US but has a USB dac, headamp and speaker outs.  http://www.travagans.com/eshop/?p=22#more-22  I've never heard this before so I can't comment on its performance but its the closest thing to fit your criteria that I could think of.

Good luck in your search.

May 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 16
Actually i am not at all looking for a amp, just a DAC with headphone and speaker out, to drive my A700 and 2.1 speaker(for nw,"might" upgrade to A2/AP4's later). Yes i was thinking about recievers but i thought i would get a entry level DAC for cheaper than a entry level reciever,if possible.
Actually my budget is $300, the $100 is kept seperate for shipping(hopefully that is enough).. :p

If I could get a reciever for $300 it would be nice. But i am not sure if DAC would be better or Reciever since i want it only for music also not interseted in some 5.1 or 7.1 setup. Prefer a setero setup. :)

EDIT:

Quote:
Truthfully speaking, you won't be able to find a quality DAC, or headphone amp, or speaker amp separately for <$200. Maybe look at used old receivers with a headphone out but you're still missing a DAC.

Dont recievers have DAC in them?

May 10, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #14 of 16
The are active speakers then? In that case, I would go for the Aune likely, it has Coax in from all I know.

Receivers may or may not have DACs in there. Newer home theater ones generally do with others its a wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back