Need a new Dac, Schiit vs JDS Labs, need help in choosing which one !
Oct 1, 2016 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Moys

Head-Fier
Hello!

I do have an AKG-702 right now and plan to buy a Sennheiser HD-600 but I have a few issues with my actual Dac/Amp ( M-audio super dac ).

Firstly I want something better, and secondly the device's usb port isn't working anymore. So it's a nice opportunity to look for a better dac and amp. 

I think I have 2 choices:

My dac is power supplied by an usb and an ac port, so maybe I can still use it as an amp ( by linking it's rca outputs with another dac ) for some time and only buy a dac for now, of course I'll get a proper amp in some time, probably more expensive than what I can buy right now ( 100~150 for each one, so maybe go to 200~250 ) but I don't think that I need it. That's why I'm unsure and am looking for help here.

My second choice is to buy the amp and dac at the same time, which is cheaper in the end, but the single purchase is more expensive. Also I feel like putting more money in the amp is better, but what can I even buy that I really need?

I've looked all around and I don't think that I actually need anything but the magni/modi or 02/ODAC combo, they should be enough for my AKG-702 and the HD-600, I store my music on my pc for amateur headphone listening only, also I don't want to use tubes and I don't think that I need anything else than rca and usb ports ( which is basicaly what changes when you get higher in prices ). They both give me what I want, but the issue here is that I have to choose one of them, so please help me!

Basically, I'll either buy the  JDS's dac+amp combo or the Modi 2 and a new amp later. Or maybe buy a standalone ODAC instead of the Modi ? Or the Modi+Magni is more than enough? Other products? Please I need advices! Thanks in advance.

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Save for the Matrix M-Stage HPA-2.
If you like the K702 then try the HD600 before buying since it's a downgrade in many regards.

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 13
  Hello!

I do have an AKG-702 right now and plan to buy a Sennheiser HD-600 but I have a few issues with my actual Dac/Amp ( M-audio super dac ).

Firstly I want something better, and secondly the device's usb port isn't working anymore. So it's a nice opportunity to look for a better dac and amp. 

I think I have 2 choices:

My dac is power supplied by an usb and an ac port, so maybe I can still use it as an amp ( by linking it's rca outputs with another dac ) for some time and only buy a dac for now, of course I'll get a proper amp in some time, probably more expensive than what I can buy right now ( 100~150 for each one, so maybe go to 200~250 ) but I don't think that I need it. That's why I'm unsure and am looking for help here.

My second choice is to buy the amp and dac at the same time, which is cheaper in the end, but the single purchase is more expensive. Also I feel like putting more money in the amp is better, but what can I even buy that I really need?

I've looked all around and I don't think that I actually need anything but the magni/modi or 02/ODAC combo, they should be enough for my AKG-702 and the HD-600, I store my music on my pc for amateur headphone listening only, also I don't want to use tubes and I don't think that I need anything else than rca and usb ports ( which is basicaly what changes when you get higher in prices ). They both give me what I want, but the issue here is that I have to choose one of them, so please help me!

Basically, I'll either buy the  JDS's dac+amp combo or the Modi 2 and a new amp later. Or maybe buy a standalone ODAC instead of the Modi ? Or the Modi+Magni is more than enough? Other products? Please I need advices! Thanks in advance.

The regular Modi 2 and ODAC are pretty similar.  However I would recommend the Modi just for the stacking convenience due to my next recommendation.

Do not get the O2 amp for your k702 and especially not for the HD600.  It is a fine budget SS amp for some headphones, usually darker, low Z phones, but would not pair well with your current headphone or the hd600.  The Magni 2 would be fine for the k702, although I would recommend the Vali 1 ($99 on closeout direct from Schiit) for the HD600.  The Magni 2 and Vali 1 should be about equal for the k702.

I'll also give a counter recommendation if @Me x3 doesn't mind 
tongue.gif

Paired with the right equipment (for example the Vali 1) the HD600 could scale much better than the k702 IMO.  They are both good headphones, but I would say the HD600 has better body in the bass and a more natural midrange.  However the k702 does best the 600 in soundstage.  Definitely try it before you buy as both headphones has their fans, and rightfully so.

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 13
I'll also give a counter recommendation if @Me x3 doesn't mind
tongue.gif

Paired with the right equipment (for example the Vali 1) the HD600 could scale much better than the k702 IMO. They are both good headphones, but I would say the HD600 has better body in the bass and a more natural midrange. However the k702 does best the 600 in soundstage. Definitely try it before you buy as both headphones has their fans, and rightfully so.

Haha, well that's why I've said "... if you like K702 then try HD600 before buying"

K702 has very neutral extended and layered bass with very little distortion. According to some sources it measures better than the HD800S in that regard.
HD6x0 is just average + it has raised mid-bass, so the bass tend to sound woolly and monotonous next to the cleaner K702.

Mids on K702 are very layered with great instrument separation, HD6x0 on the other hand is much more cohessive, so it's clearly a less technical performer.
K702 can sound a bit nasal while HD600 can sound a bit rough. HD600 preserve the tonality better than K702 across a wider variety of recordings, but the slightly forward presentation on HD600 has a negative effect in the perceived soundstage depth.

Both are quite good in the treble, although detail-heads or people normally listening to audiophile recordings at low/moderate levels will surely prefer the airier K702.

Technically speaking, I think K702 is overall better than HD6x0, but HD6x0 can be more pleasing depending on the recordings and personal preferences.
HD6x0 is definitely better all-rounder. AKG K702 is much more incisive (some would say annoying), while HD6x0 is more relaxing (some would say muffled/boring).

Trying before buying is always the best thing one can do, since there are many variables involved. And sometimes the less technical headphone can suit our preferences the best. (Same for DAC/Amps/...)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 13
  Haha, well that's why I've said "... if you like K702 then try HD600 before buying"

K702 has very neutral extended and layered bass with very little distortion. It's even better than the HD800S in that regard.
HD6x0 is just average + it has raised mid-bass, so the bass tend to sound woolly and monotonous next to the cleaner K702.

Mids on K702 are very layered with great instrument separation, HD6x0 on the other hand is much more cohessive, so it's clearly a less technical performer.
K702 can sound a bit nasal while HD600 can sound a bit rough. HD600 preserve the tonality better than K702 across a wider variety of recordings, but the slightly forward presentation on HD600 has a negative effect in the perceived soundstage depth.

Both are quite good in the treble, although detail-heads or people normally listening to audiophile recordings at low/moderate levels will surely prefer the airier K702.

Technically speaking, I think K702 is overall better than HD6x0, but HD6x0 can be more pleasing depending on the recordings and personal preferences.
HD6x0 is definitely better all-rounder. AKG K702 is much more incisive (some would say annoying), while HD6x0 is more relaxing (some would say muffled/boring).

Trying before buying is always the best thing one can do, since there are many variables involved. And sometimes the less technical headphone can suit our preferences the best. (Same for DAC/Amps/...)

Thanks a lot for your recommendations!

First of all, I'm pretty convinced that the HD-600 will be what I'm looking for, I've used a few sennheiser headphones, low price ones though ( the best was the HD 558 ) but I can still say that I love Sennheiser's products. They feel nice on the head and even the sound is "comfortable". Also I really like the "sound spacing" ( that's how I call it, sorry if it's a wrong term ).

I bought the AKG-702 because it seemed like a really good product and especially in classical music that I listen a lot to. But I actually bought it because I didn't have enough money for the HD-600 and there was a sale for it. Even now I still use my HD-558 because the AKG is really tiring in the long run ( my headphones are on my head all day ) and even though the sound quality doesn't match up at all it's still more pleasant to listen sometimes.

Also I agree that it should be more responsible to try it before buying it but unfortunately I can't really do that. I think that my experiences with Sennheiser and what I've read about it ( and I've read a lot ) are more than enough to make my choice, I know it's dumb but I want to be frank.Tell me if I should think otherwise, but I feel like I should be fine. 

Going back on the dac/amp subject:

Thanks for suggesting the Matrix M-Stage HPA-2, unfortunately I'd rather get a seperate dac and amp so I can upgrade it more easily, also I don't have much cash to spend at once ( just bought the akg + m-audio, an expensive pc right before, and I don't want to wait too long for the HD-600  ). But if you can convince me that I really need it, and that it's outclasses by a lot a modi 2 + 100~200 € ( or higher in the future ) amp then then please go for it. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 13

The regular Modi 2 and ODAC are pretty similar.  However I would recommend the Modi just for the stacking convenience due to my next recommendation.

Do not get the O2 amp for your k702 and especially not for the HD600.  It is a fine budget SS amp for some headphones, usually darker, low Z phones, but would not pair well with your current headphone or the hd600.  The Magni 2 would be fine for the k702, although I would recommend the Vali 1 ($99 on closeout direct from Schiit) for the HD600.  The Magni 2 and Vali 1 should be about equal for the k702.

I'll also give a counter recommendation if @Me x3 doesn't mind 
tongue.gif

Paired with the right equipment (for example the Vali 1) the HD600 could scale much better than the k702 IMO.  They are both good headphones, but I would say the HD600 has better body in the bass and a more natural midrange.  However the k702 does best the 600 in soundstage.  Definitely try it before you buy as both headphones has their fans, and rightfully so.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I was actually about to buy the Modi 2, After a lot of thinking and searchs I've ended up thinking that buying each thing seperately is better and buying the JDS Labs products one by one is too expensive so now I'm fixed. So after reading this I'm even more into thinking that it's what I need 

But now for the amp: What are the differences between the vali and the magni? It's the same price so I'm pretty confused. Also the vali 2 has tube, does the vali 1 too? I don't feel like I need tubes. Please explain me why I need this one over the Magni 2. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for your suggestions!

I was actually about to buy the Modi 2, After a lot of thinking and searchs I've ended up thinking that buying each thing seperately is better and buying the JDS Labs products one by one is too expensive so now I'm fixed. So after reading this I'm even more into thinking that it's what I need 

But now for the amp: What are the differences between the vali and the magni? It's the same price so I'm pretty confused. Also the vali 2 has tube, does the vali 1 too? I don't feel like I need tubes. Please explain me why I need this one over the Magni 2. 

The Vali 1 has two subminiature tubes built into the amp. It generally pairs better with the high Z sennheiser line. Better dynamics, smoother mids to treble transition. There are more in depth comparisons between the two here and on other forums that show up in a quick Google search.

My Vali 2 is also an excellent pairing. You could get one used for about $130. It's a traditional hybrid design so you can roll different tubes if you want to fine tune the sound. Also added preamp outs and a gain switch.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks for the explaination, actually I'm just scared that the tube thing requieres special cares or anything, or like for example they won't last as long as a solide-state amp. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 13
Some brief feedback on both Schiit Magni/Modi combo and the JDS Labs The Element by SSSN

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 13
I don't really get why you'd link me a thread with less replies than mine.

Also this person had a personnal and unusual issue with a schiit product, and what I'm looking for isn't a dac that doesn't "pop".

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #11 of 13
Originally Posted by Moys /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also this person had a personnal and unusual issue with a schiit product, and what I'm looking for isn't a dac that doesn't "pop".

For you to obtain the information regarding some issues people might be having. I have recently noticed another thread in the Recommendations with anoher person complaining about the Magni-Modi build quality and reliability, so it's worth letting other people know that.

The number of replies doesn't have anyhing to do with the quantity of replies, but in this case I thought you might be interested in talking to a person who experienced some problems with the gear you are about to buy.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 13

I wouldn't worry about Schiit build quality. They are known for their robust and long lasting build quality. Of course as with every electronic device ever invented by man, it is always possible to get a bad unit, though incredibly unlikely.

Schiit also has great customer service in the unlikely event it does have a problem.

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 13

For you to obtain the information regarding some issues people might be having. I have recently noticed another thread in the Recommendations with anoher person complaining about the Magni-Modi build quality and reliability, so it's worth letting other people know that.

The number of replies doesn't have anyhing to do with the quantity of replies, but in this case I thought you might be interested in talking to a person who experienced some problems with the gear you are about to buy.

Well, thanks anyway for trying to help me, I did read this thread before making mine though, as well as all the others around this time and that's why I felt the need of making a new one, since my my criteria weren't the same as the other's.

Thanks again to everyone, I'll probably buy the modi+vali, maybe only the magni instead because I don't have much money to spend right now and the sale might end when I will.

So I still have plently have time to think about what the best purchase is, I think I'm fixed on buying the modi, but if anyone else has a suggestion about an amp for me ( 100/200$ at most ) then please go ahead. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back