Need a new closed phone... narrowed down to 3
Jul 15, 2015 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

talan7

Headphoneus Supremus
I just picked up an iDSD micro from ifi. I need a new closed can because my wife keeps telling me that my AKG K712 and X2s are too loud. 

I'm looking at NAD Viso HP50, Focal Spirit Classic (or would the Pros or spirit 1 premium be better?), or the Shure SRH1540s. I'm leaning towards the 1540s because the midrange on the Shure SRH840 impresses me the most on all my phones and I read the 1540s are basically 840s with much more bass. If that's true than it will easily be my best phone.

Which is the best of the 3? I like neutral mids and treble with extra bass that doesn't bleed (or doesn't bleed much)
Has anyone heard all 3? I looked and couldn't find many comparisons against the 1540

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 24
I haven't heard those, but in case it helps, here are my favorite closed headphones, in order of preference:

Yamaha HPH-MT220
Focal Spirit Professional
Bose QuietComfort 15
Sony MDR-7506

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 24
  Read a lot about how good the Focals are. i also read good things about the Yamahas. How's the bass on the Yamahas? Is it better than the Focals?

The bass on the Yamaha is much more enveloping, juicy, and punchy. On high volume with certain material, it's the only headphone I've heard that rattled my skull! (But I haven't delved into hardcore basshead headphones yet.) And yet, the bass doesn't seem to be boosted much at all. I prefer the Yamaha in nearly every way over the Focal, though the Focal is nice too. Note that I slightly modified the Yamaha to enhance the sound.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 24
The NAD HP50s are a warmish sounding headphone due to a bit of bass emphasis relative to the mids and highs. Seems like it might be what you are looking for :)

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 24

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

The Shure is ranked the highest on that link, but you may prefer any which one.

I don't mean to chime in but they're not actually listed according to rank. hth

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 24
The shure is the one I prefer. Just wanted to make shure I had the right phone and nothing else was obviously superior, thanks.

I would say that the Shure is not balanced enough and I like the overall balance of my NAD Viso HP50 better.
If you have a big head (I mean really big) like mine, the Shure won't even fit. The 840 fits me but not the 1540.
Out of the Focals, I personally liked the Professional the best.
Comparing the HP50 to the Pro is done very well here: http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/07/11/review-focal-spirit-professional-and-nad-viso-hp50-headphones/
Like the review says, (also, Innerfidelity has reviews of both and compares both I believe) HP50 has a bit more fun sound. IMO they are very very slightly, tad bit more transparent due to the very slightly more lively treble and HP50's bass is more 3D.
I also can suggest taking a look at OPPO's PM-3s if you want a planar-magnetic headphone since your new iDSD has more than enough power to feed any planar relatively well.
Hope this helps. :)

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 24
I can get the NADs at a really good price. They just don't look as good or as comfortable as the shures. I think I'll just get the NADs and trade/sell them for the shures if they don't work out. I have a pair of oppo pm2s coming on loan from oppo. I was waiting to audition them before buying my 1st planars. I'm looking at EL8s, PM2s, or Hifiman he500/400/I/S. The S just took me by surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back