need a new cell phone
Feb 23, 2007 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
have verizon in the usa

my cell is kaput and i need a new one, but talked with my verizon-gal and no-go on getting a deal on a phone from them so it looks like ebay

i want something pretty cheap; i'd like a flip phone with speakerphone but that's it, used is fine. the problem is the only phones on verizon's website are the current ones and they're all a bit pricey on ebay and i was thinking perhaps if i searched an older model i could get something cheaper.

suggestions? thoughts?

switching phones on my plan is super-easy and i've done it before; it's free online, no sim cards, so atleast that will be simple, it just has to be a verizon phone i think

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm a senior member on howardforums.com before I got to this board.
I highly suggest you go there as it's the largest cell phone online community in the world. I'm from Canada but I know there are several dedicated sub-forums including Verizon, the service provider that you're currently with right now. There you'll find current employees from all service providers who'll contribute to your needs
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 16
i'd like to find something as cheap as possible

an older model nokia or something that's a flip phone with speakerphone is all i need; something basic; under $50 would be good; the Nokia 2366i seems to be had on ebay for $65 or so, so i may get that, but if i could find an older model for less that would be good

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 16
I`m using a Nokia N73 at the moment.

It has nice features and is easy to use. Cause it`s a Nokia it`s durable.
Maybe something for you too.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 16
You wanna give up on the speakerphone, I have a lightly used nokia 'hershey bar' phone you can have for shipping - charger, dock, and auto charger cords.
Unit was on verizon.
you pay shipping/insurance, and so on.

guy

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 16
Having had a Sony Ericsson for a few years I thought i upgrade and try other phones last year. I tried a pretty decent Samsung phone, it was slick to look at, the screen was fabulous. But once the initial wow factor gone away, i noticed there was just so many bugs and nasties thats illogical in the Samsung UI.

off my head, things that sticks in my head

1 - texting, after you finished your message, you press send and takes you to a sub menu to choose which you go into your phone book or enter a number. so another click for phone book (in a Sony UI, the very next page is the phone book with the enter phone number at the top so one less step), then after you selected a number you click done which brings you back to another sub menu. In the Sony UI after you click on a number the very next click will sent the text. To sent a text in the Samsung phone require just a few more "done" & "sent" clicks. Not difficult but just annoying, not thought out enough and bad design.

2 - The count down timer, it does not show up in the main screen. I had a flip Samsung phone, and soon you close it, it goes to the main screen. So i was using the count down timer, to see it again i have to go through all the menu options again. Why can't it show in one of the corners like the Sony phone does?

3 - Not loud enough, and it doesn't pick up my voice enough. I thought i gone deaf when i first got it, i could hardly hear my friends talk. It's not just my phone too, my sister has another model of Samsung phone and she complains about the same problem, its simply too quiet.

4 - Ring tones are not loud enough, i've missed so many calls (and one possible job) because of this stupid design flaw. You just can't hear it when its in your pocket while outside the house.

5 - It does not show a photo full screen without any text or bars on the side of the screen.

There are also lots of others little things, but together it's just awful to use. So annoyed with it after 3 months (I did give it a good long period just in case was getting used to it) i went out and bought another Sony Ericsson phone. Yes the battery life was good but so is my Sony Ericsson, and without any of those problems.

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #12 of 16
I have a lgvx3200 you can have free, it is perfectly fine, has a speaker and great battery life, I'll give you the charger too if it isn't too late.

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No LG phone is worth $32.........seriously.

?

What's wrong with LG? I'm just wondering because I'm about to get a LG VX8300 for $50, new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back