need a neutral iem , superfi 3, hf5?
Mar 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 15
RE0. (echo around here)

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 15
phonak audeo pfes are another great choice, although I haven't heard the re0. Make sure you get the v1 revised model; supposedly they have improved cable quality. maybe you can chat with dfkt. He is from Vienna I think and has heard both.

dfkt's reviews are on anythingbutipod under headphone reviews. On this forum, joker has a extensive mini-review compilation of iems from 20-200 usd. it is usually on the first or second page.
edit here it is
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...3-19-a-478568/

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Both RE0 and PFE are quite neutral in response, but the RE0 is a much more natural and detailed IEM IMO. It is more subtle and delicate and has a more realistic timbre. PFE simplifies atmosphere in music by comparison - it misses a lot of micro-detail and only leaves the basics/the barebones so to speak of the music. RE0 sounds a lot more sophisticated by comparison and allows you to hear much deeper into the recording. It leaves all the emotions intact, even though it lacks a bit of depth to the sound and sounds slightly compressed. Depth and overall soundstage of the RE0, as well as bass quality improve a lot with better sources/amps. PFE also improves with better amplification, but it can never matches the RE0 IMO.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PFE simplifies atmosphere in music by comparison - it misses a lot of micro-detail and only leaves the basics/the barebones so to speak of the music.

Very true.

With a simple, precise recording, it's terrific. With a chaotic recording, it doesn't even seem to try.

The PFE has sometimes reminded me of the best FM radio signal you've never heard, as if compression were a major determining factor for the sound.

But--I like it.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 15
HF5, Image X5, HJE900, RE0, UE SF5Pro, E4c and PK1....

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HF5, Image X5, HJE900, RE0, UE SF5Pro, E4c and PK1....

Those two are definitely not neutral. They have their own distinct characters. Both have a V-shaped frequency response curve, especially the Super.fi 5 Pro, which is very far from neutral actually - it's got a phat, somewhat overpowering bass and a pretty big spike around 7-8 kHz. PK1 is a bit more neutral and doesn't have any offensive peaks like Super.fi 5 Pro does, but it is still a bit colored in the bass and treble.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 15
Sorry but I had to ask. RE0 vs HF5 from somebody that actually knows both?

I once owned the UE 5 pro, for about a day.
biggrin.gif
I actually preferred the UE 3 I had previous. Wouldn't recommend either in that esteemed company.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by elchaka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about westone 1 / UM1?

Pretty mediocre sound if you ask me. The bass is pretty weak, the mids are good, but the treble is virtually non-existent.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 15
ETY are known to be quite neutral, even the old IM716/616 (if you can still find them are very good) but for your price range the RE0 are great, as well the phonaks. Can't go wrong with either one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back