need a microphone
Aug 4, 2010 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Saxi

Head-Fier
I picked up the Zalman clip on microphone on my conversion from Gaming Headsets to a quality headphones (AD700), but this microphone is awful.  I would prefer not to have a desktop microphone, and would like something that hooks onto the headphones, is there anything that is good?  The zalman only works if I was to tape it to my cheek.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 12
You could use a panasonic wm-61a condenser capsule, just google it and you will find lots of information, but you will need a preamp with phantom power, which might be higly impractical for a computer headset, unless you have a soundcard with integrated mic preamp...

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
You could use a panasonic wm-61a condenser capsule, just google it and you will find lots of information, but you will need a preamp with phantom power, which might be higly impractical for a computer headset, unless you have a soundcard with integrated mic preamp...

I am looking for something a little more like a traditional headset microphone.  Just like the Zalman mic but one that actually works without being lodged in your mouth.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 12
I want something with excellent sound quality and good noise canceling, but I don't want to have to pull out a microphone and throw it in front of me every time I want to use it.  I really like the integrated headset

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 12
my air conditioner and my computer emit a good amount of background noise.  That is why I really want noise canceling but I doubt there will be an "unpowered" mic like the Zalman that would have noise canceling.  I suspect I am going to have to go with a desktop mic after all as I cannot seem to find any other solution.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Zalman is an overpriced piece of crap. It doesn't deserve any of the hype it gets in gaming forums. I use Ventrilo and TeamSpeak for VoIP communication in games and there was not one sensitivity setting where the microphone would work with any of the sound cards that I've tested it with (onboard, X-Fi Xtreme Music, Essence ST.) It'd either pick up every little noise in my room (my PC is quite noisy) or not register my voice at all unless I yelled.

Now I'm using some cheapo noname mic (the kind you attach to your collar or headphone cable) that cost me 1/4 of what I had to pay for Zalman and it works great. The quality's ok for VoIP apps. I'd recommend getting some cheap clip on mic (with lots of background noise, the closer to your mouth, the better), the possibility that it's going to perform worse than the one from Zalman is close to zero.

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 12
IMO the best headphone microphones are made by Plantronics, particularly their office line products. Their gaming headsets, on the other hand aren't all that great. I've been thinking of modding the microphone from one to a dt770 for gaming use.

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi,

is it possible to connect this mic directly to an audiointerface like the focusrite scarlett?

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 12
Do you need to adjust your microphone boost setting? My Zalman clip on works fine. I've used it up to 2.5 feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back