Need a little help.
Jun 9, 2023 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

scott2379

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody

Always been into music from an early age, recording the top 40 etc. Had a super AIWA system in the early nineties alas no more.

I have rediscovered music again helps keeping my head clear in a busy life.

I have a Emotiva ta1
Marrantz cd6007
Q accoustics 3020i on stands
Q accoustics bass 3060
Fluance rt 85
Magni and Loki mini
A pair of akg head phones.

Ita fab but since I have got the magni 3 I have basically a connection issue.
The head amp is fab but I have lost the eq somehow in my set up, somehow seem to have bypassed it?

I am struggling with the connection issue, if you can point me in the right direction it would be very appreciated .

I am a complete Newby and find all the technical stuff a bit bewildering.

Kind regards Scott.

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 16
Welcome to American Top 40 and my name's Casey Kasem...

What's your exact signal chain including cables? Photos of the setup/cabling might help.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 16
From the amp

Cross over out going to loki out.
Main out going to loki in
Sub and cd are straight forward and no issue.
I have taken the headphone amp at the moment until I can get this sorted.

Thanks for looking.👌

Attachments

• 20230609_183227.jpg
    20230609_183227.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230609_183203.jpg
    20230609_183203.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 9, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 16
So crossover out is a high pass cutting off the lowest frequencies, main is full range. But I think these are intended to be outputs for a power amp.

Right now, I think you have both outputs running to the Loki?

Main out to Loki in is correct. The Loki out (I'm guessing) would be run to Aux in. But then you have no source...

What I would do is CD into the Loki in, Loki out into Aux. Then see if you get tone control.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 16
So crossover out is a high pass cutting off the lowest frequencies, main is full range. But I think these are intended to be outputs for a power amp.

Right now, I think you have both outputs running to the Loki?

Main out to Loki in is correct. The Loki out (I'm guessing) would be run to Aux in. But then you have no source...

What I would do is CD into the Loki in, Loki out into Aux. Then see if you get tone control.

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 16
Well first off, I love that you're calling me Casey... though Casey Kasem was a known DJ/host of a long running Top 40 broadcast in the US from like 1970 on. LOL

American humor.

So do you mean when you plug into the Emotiva headphone jack, it still pushes audio through the speakers? I would try another input, not Aux then. Try Loki out to CD in.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 16
You're welcome, and you too.

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 16
Do you want the Loki to control levels for all inputs or your headphone and speakers?
If you plug your headphones into the TA1 the speakers will turn off, if you plug your headphones into the Magni, they will not.

I read through the manuals for the receiver, cd-player, turn-table, speakers and sub. The TA1 lacks a feature that would allow you to run a signal out to the Loki and then back to the TA1. So you can choose to have one source, like the cd-player, run into the loki, then into the ta1, which would allow you tone control over your cd music, but not for any other source, like your phonograph or fm radio. (Cd-player -> Loki -> TA1 cd-in -> Ta1 to speakers, Ta1 Main out -> Modi -> Headphones)
As an alternative, you can take the output from the TA1 into the Loki which will allow you to have tone control for your headphone from every source, but no tone control for the speakers. (Ta1 Main out -> Loki -> Modi -> headphones)
You could add another stand-alone external amp for your speakers and as long as it has a passthrough, you could have tone control for both the speakers and the headphones. (Ta1 Main out -> Loki -> speaker amp -> Passthrough -> Modi)

In the last version, the external speaker amp should also have an amp mute that allows the bi-pass through so you can switch between speakers and headphones.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 16
Rekkr from schiit will this get the job done? Yes would like the loki to control levels for headphone and speakers have noticed when I put the headphones in the ta1 the speakers turned off, just did not sound to good.
Thanks knight for replying I appreciate all the help . Sometimes I wonder if I should have bought an old system from the 90's alot less complicated.

Jun 10, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 16
I don't know what is considered a good amp anymore, so someone else may come along with a better suggestion.
And I forgot the Magni has an out which is good.

So, to revise; (TA1 Main Out -> Loki -> Magni -> Stereo Amp) The Magni will turn off it's output when headphones are installed so it will mute the Stereo Amp/speakers.

Possible Amps: (Sub gets attached to the Stereo Amp)
Onkyo A-9110, Denon PMA-600NE, Schiit Ragnarok

Alternate setup: (Sub is attached to TA1)
Schiit Vidar, Topping Pa3,

I suspect the Rekkr (8ohm 2W) and Gjallarhorn (8ohm 10W) may not have enough power to drive your 3020i. I could be interpreting wrong, again someone else can correct me. The speakers say they require 6ohm 25-75W. The Vidar is 8ohm 100W. TBF, the advertising for the Rekkr and Gjallarhorn say it will power speakers similar to yours but they may not get very loud.

The Vidar and the PA3 look like just an amp with no frills, which is probably a benefit since you want to use the Loki. The Onkyo and Denon have treb and bass sliders which might interfere with your Loki settings, but both have a direct mode to bypass them, it is an extra thing to check when you have an issue. Not sure if that make a difference to you.

Where you attach the sub is preference.

Interestingly, most of the stereo amps have their own headphone jacks and you could just remove the Magni.

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 16
I don't know what is considered a good amp anymore, so someone else may come along with a better suggestion.
And I forgot the Magni has an out which is good.

So, to revise; (TA1 Main Out -> Loki -> Magni -> Stereo Amp) The Magni will turn off it's output when headphones are installed so it will mute the Stereo Amp/speakers.

Possible Amps: (Sub gets attached to the Stereo Amp)
Onkyo A-9110, Denon PMA-600NE, Schiit Ragnarok

Alternate setup: (Sub is attached to TA1)
Schiit Vidar, Topping Pa3,

I suspect the Rekkr (8ohm 2W) and Gjallarhorn (8ohm 10W) may not have enough power to drive your 3020i. I could be interpreting wrong, again someone else can correct me. The speakers say they require 6ohm 25-75W. The Vidar is 8ohm 100W. TBF, the advertising for the Rekkr and Gjallarhorn say it will power speakers similar to yours but they may not get very loud.

The Vidar and the PA3 look like just an amp with no frills, which is probably a benefit since you want to use the Loki. The Onkyo and Denon have treb and bass sliders which might interfere with your Loki settings, but both have a direct mode to bypass them, it is an extra thing to check when you have an issue. Not sure if that make a difference to you.

Where you attach the sub is preference.

Interestingly, most of the stereo amps have their own headphone jacks and you could just remove the Magni.
Thanks Knight think the pa3 or the Onkyo look the best fit for my budget, but for now I will remove the magni until I have the funds available.
I have tried the headphone output on the ta1 it's OK but not great. Thanks for spending the time helping me out much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back