Need a little help
Jun 16, 2017 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ge_trojan

New Head-Fier
I tried to post in the help and recommendations forum but I wasn't getting many answers. I'd like to try it here.

Ok, I'm 65. I like most types of music, mostly 60s to 70s rock, blues, some country, even a little easy classical.

No rap, etc.

Anyway, I go to my favorite SBUX several times a week and sit for a good while surfing and listening. I have a couple of pairs of lowend headphones but would like to upgrade.

I lurk a lot so I have read a lot on this site and the information is staggering...

Please guide me, I know how folks like to spend other people's money, so....

I want a new pair of headphones. After reading a lot, I think I would like a pair of DT880's probably the 250 ohms. what can I say? I like German engineering. I like solid, I like closed back if possible. Circumaural. Only one cable. I'm a big guy with a large punkin'. I don't need bass heavy anything... Sennheiser's might be nice also.

I would like a portable DAC/AMP combo. I like the idea of a clean uncluttered sound presentation. I don't need something overly complicated, simple is good. I do want good quality, durability, good design. I have read about Fioo's, jds, schitt etc. It is mind numbing. The more I read, the less I know. I'm sure there is more info I should give, but let's start here.

I am good with spending at most $200 on the headphones, $75 to $150 on the DAC/AMP.

There is nowhere near my home in Virginia that has a decent stereo store, so I will be ordering online.

All guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Last edited: Wednesday at 3:04 PM

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 6
DT880 would suit you well, my preference is for the 250ohm version. If you have Amazon, they are running a sale on the "chrome special edition" right now. I have the now discontinued black special edition and they're all 250ohm but they come with a nicer alcantara headband and a nicer case. Plus they're on sale for like $170. Highly highly recommended! The 250ohm version even sounds very good straight out of my iPhone 7 and gets decently loud. Loud enough for most music in fact.

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 6
DT880 would suit you well, my preference is for the 250ohm version. If you have Amazon, they are running a sale on the "chrome special edition" right now. I have the now discontinued black special edition and they're all 250ohm but they come with a nicer alcantara headband and a nicer case. Plus they're on sale for like $170. Highly highly recommended! The 250ohm version even sounds very good straight out of my iPhone 7 and gets decently loud. Loud enough for most music in fact.

I agree with this; it's very good advice IMO.
The DT880 250 ohms, several years ago, were one of my first "good" headphones.
And they still sound very good indeed. (Very comfortable as well.)

Only thing is I'd personally steer you towards a beefier DAC/amp >
maybe the Cayin C5. Are you sure you need an amp/ DAC? Or just an amp?
What will you be using as your listening source? Something a bit larger,
but not more expensive, is the very good JDS Labs ODAC or O2 amp.
Definitely will provide all the juice you may need at a wallet friendly price.

https://www.jdslabs.com/mobile/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/
https://www.jdslabs.com/mobile/products/46/standalone-odac-rev-b/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back