Need a little help with IEM for <$300
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Padgoi

New Head-Fier
Hi All, I'm quite new to the scene of IEM, but I'm looking for a quality product.  Let me explain what I'm looking for and what I listen to.

What I listen to:
- 50% R&B
- 30% hip hop
- 20% other (rock, pop, etc.)

My Usage:
- Primarily at work for a max of 2 hours per day.  

What I'm looking for:
- Quality, full sound.  I don't want the bass to be destroying my ear, but I want it to go well with the highs and mids.  I want to hear the intricacies of the music, the subtle details that cheaper earbuds cannot capture.
- A well-made product that, for the money, won't break in a few months.
- I'd prefer sound-isolating, but it's not imperative if the sound quality is superior.

What I've used:
- This is obviously where I'm lacking.  I currently only have the Klipsch S4i and am less than impressed.  The bass is too strong and drowns out the highs.  Also, the highs become distorted when in conjunction with the bass for a poor sounding product.

What I'm looking to spend:
- Up to $300.  

What I'm currently looking at (Suggestions Needed):
- Yamaha EPH-100 - price looks good and I've heard good things about it, but I'm wondering if the more expensive products offer better sound.
- Etymotic ER-4PT - for $300, I'm hearing good things about it.  
- Etymotic HF3 - reviews were solid and hearing good things, but not as good as 4PT.
- Shure SE425 - I'm hearing the 535's are better, but for $500, they're a bit too expensive.  Also, are the Yamaha's better with a price tag of over $150 cheaper?
- Klipsch x10i - not hearing fantastic things about them.
- Sony XBA-4IP - reviews were solid, better than I expected.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 7
I know they are budget, but the Monoprice 8320 series sounds amazing for $7 (yes, seven dollars).

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Agreed, you are looking for higher-end. But to me, the 8320 sound better than 3 IEM's I have tried at the $100 price point. Hence the budget disclaimer. IMHO

100x better than the Sennheiser Sport
10x better than the Bose IEM

Hopefully someone can suggest something in your elevated price range! I would be interested as well.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks vipervick.  I've heard nothing good about the Bose or the Sennheiser, but the ones I mentioned in my original post all had good reviews, so I want to see which one the audiophiles here suggest.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to these 2:

- Etymotic ER-4PT - for $300, I'm hearing good things about it.  
- Sennheiser IE-8I

Both are around $300 and the reviews are amazing for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back