Need a little help putting my headphones back together
Jan 6, 2011 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

D41LYBR34Dm4n

New Head-Fier
My pair of AKG271's are pretty old and they're starting to fall apart. The right ear piece came off and there's a red and white wire loose that I need to re-solder. Problem is, I don't know where the white wire is supposed to go.

On the piece that fell off you can see that there's a red wire coming out of it, but no evidence of any white wire. I'm tempted to just re-solder the red one and see what happens, but something tells me that white wire needs to go somewhere lol

Sorry for the dumb question, but any advice would be great

I'm trying to use this diagram but it's not really telling me what I need to know: http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/78/k271_studi4055d247300e2.pdf

Although I did just find out that the red wire is for the right speaker, and the white wire is the ground...so does that mean I don't need to solder that white wire to anything else?

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 7
You're initially correct, the ground has to attach somewhere.  I'm not super positive on higher quality headphones, but I think there might be an orientation, so there should be a mark indicating + or -.  I'm not positive though, the only thing I have had to repair were my super fi. 5 pros (RIP) and my ER-6i.  So hopefully someone can come along with some better information; but yes, both wires must go to two different posts to complete the signal.  Which post and if it matters is beyond my help.  Hopefully this pushes you in the right direction.

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the response.

I just really don't see where to connect it, there's no remnant of any white wire to match it with, and I don't even see a place designated for it like there is with the red wire.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 7
The picture on the right is kind of blurry.  It looks like the red wire is connected to the post on the left.  Is this correct?  If so I'd imagine the white wire would connect to the post on the right side.  I could totally be wrong though.  Here's hoping to someone with better knowledge replies to your post here soon.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 7
You have to take them apart further and solder the wires to the drivers. If your not comfy doing it perhaps you can find a local DIYer, or someone over the internets.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Alright thanks. I wish I knew which pieces to take apart because this diagram is kind of confusing: http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/78/k271_studi4055d247300e2.pdf

Nothing labeled drivers on there either 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back