Need a little help in finding a new $200 IEM.
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
Right now, I finally am employed (Hooray!) and I don't think my JVC FX300 are cutting it for me right now. I have a budget of about 200 dollars, which seems to be the sweet spot for about every single IEM ever.

My source is a Samsung P2 (with a possible upgrade to a Cowon S9 or iRiver Spinn). I mainly listen to Alternative, Rock, and Indie stuff with a lot of piano intermixed.

I'm mainly looking at the Klipsch Custom 3 and Image IEMS, Sleek Audio SA9, and Atrio M5. I've read reviews on all of them, but I'm still not entirely sure which one to get still.

Comfort is a factor, as I've dealt with uncomfortable IEM's, and never again.

So again, I leave it up to you, the head fi community, to help me out!
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 12
I'm a little leerious about the bass on the SA6, especially since they're armature drivers....But I have heard very good things about them.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 12
I too suggest the SA6. They are great IEM's. As lewislink says, check out the SA6 appreciation thread and the Sleek Sa6 thread (thats a monster of a size but you'll find planety of views etc in there!). There are ways to bolster bass response of these hp's btw (EQ, bass port mods, shure black olives, use of a resistor adaptor).

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Why not save up the extra $100 (maybe less) and get a pair of customs? I had UE 5 pros, and upgraded to Livewires and don't regret it 1 bit. They fit great, block out outside noise like a charm, and they sound damn good. Or you might even go with freq's. I've never tried them but there seems to be a few people around here that have 'em and love 'em.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinkus79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not save up the extra $100 (maybe less) and get a pair of customs? I had UE 5 pros, and upgraded to Livewires and don't regret it 1 bit. They fit great, block out outside noise like a charm, and they sound damn good. Or you might even go with freq's. I've never tried them but there seems to be a few people around here that have 'em and love 'em.

Customs have no appeal to me.

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 12
SA6's were the best $180 I ever spent.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 12
i think based on the musical genres that you're into and your budget, i would suggest getting the SA6. You can't really go wrong at that price point, especially consider you'll be under factory warranty.

FWIW, I personally ended up choosing Klipsch Image x10 for two reasons: 1) they had a nice deal going about a month ago, where you could get them for around 200 from authorized dealers, and 2) electronic music just sounded better for x10 vs. SA6.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 12
I have the FX300's and if you want to make a similar upgrade in sound I would say go for the Images. Much much better bass than the FX300 could ever manage, mids not as recessed, highs on a different level though not too disimilar and a soundstage that has to be heard to believe. Your Samsung should work in tandem with the X10s as they do not like cold sources!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back