Need a lift right about now? I'll write you a prescription.
Sep 18, 2001 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
So there I was 2 weeks ago just flipping through the channels when I spotted Smoky Robinson. It was an infomercial for Time/Life's 8 CD set of classic R&B and Soul from the '50's and '60s.

Well, I've NEVER purchased anything from an infomercial before in all my 31 years. But I love 60s soul music passionately. Ever since I first went to work at a record shop at the age of 16 and the manager made me listen to a collection of classic Atlantic Soul. This was the first music that spoke to me that was not "new". This music also proved to me that not all "pop" music has to suck.

Well all 8 CDs arrived today, and boy am I smiling right now. This music is not called "soul" for nothing! So life-affirming. It cuts straight through all the crap and focuses exclusively on the simple things in life that matter most. Simple-minded? Maybe. Extraordinary? Absolutley! Represents all that's best in people, and who doesn't need to hear that right now?

Belive it or not, and take it from a geek who is into this stuff, these CDs have been very well put together, and the selections are outstanding though 8 CDs doesn't begin to cover territory this vast. All the major "schools" of R&B/Soul are represented, so this is not stacked entirely in favor of Motown (excellent but deliberately "watered down" soul for the masses), but shows off the other various regions and labels that produced the different sounds. For the most part, all the greats are here.

Sound is OK considering the age of some of these recordings, and the circumstances under which a lot of this stuff was recorded. Some of the vocals on the early songs can be a bit piercing. Newer ones sound good. This stuff was recorded to sound good on an AM radio, so you won't be needing your best set of cans.

If you like this kind of music, it's a great set you won't likely see again. If you know nothing about R&B and Soul but just want a great mood enhancer (and who doesn't right now?)... this is the best medicine a music lover could ask for. Not a bad song on here.

markl

Sep 18, 2001 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 2
now you have to go out and get some Temptations,spinners and maybe some Sly and the Family stone,anf oh,we can not forget Marvin Gaye.Go for the "best of" sets first,then start digging
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW-no cans on my job,not safe,so boombox and FM "oldies" from the '60s and '70s,great work music,very uptempo (of couse we all sing along and we all are NOT singers,dogs and cats run for cover)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back