Need a headphone stand?...head to ikea!
Nov 30, 2005 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

teknophyl

Head-Fier
Hi all, in case someone is looking for a budget headphone stand that looks really nice and could easily be confused for a purpose-built headphone stand (and not a banana hanger), check out the "Ordning" paper towel holder at IKEA. I got mine on ebay for $11 because no ikea in all of California had it in stock at the time, but if you can find it in store, it's only $7. With a little modding, it came out perfect for me. These are big pictures btw, they may take a bit on 56k.
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1041/phones26ga.jpg
It came a little too tall for my taste, so I cut 5 inches of it from the top and drilled a new hole for the "button" that secures the metal arm onto the tube.
Also, it feels a little too light and I'd imagine some heavy headphones could actually tip it over, so I bought some big hex nuts from Home Depot ($2.40) and JB Welded them to the underside. Now it's a nice and solid 3 or 4 pounds and you'd be hard pressed to accidentally knock it over.
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9904/weights6hp.jpg
I also felt it needed something dark so that it would match the dark color of the HD600s so I just wrapped a strip of electrical tape around the base and now it looks sleek and classy.

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 5
Those are some big nuts you got there...

Nice work overall!

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 5
on an unrelated note, your PS2 letters are red? mine are blue!

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Hehe...big nuts. I said hex nuts to try to avoid the innuendo
biggrin.gif

It's kinda funny that the cashier girl at Home Depot said the same thing. She didn't even know where they were located in the store, she just said, "Whoa, those are big nuts. What aisle are they in?"

And in regard to the letters on my PS2, I used an avery label and some colored pencils to make those. You can barely see it, but I also made a matching stencil for the area with the USB ports.

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 5
I think I'm buying two of these next time I go to Ikea, one for my headphones, one for my paper towels...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back