Need a headphone recommendation
May 8, 2020 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Bai Shen

New Head-Fier
My current audio setups are as follows.
  • Magni/Modi with Audio Technica M40x
  • Fiio X3 with 1More Triple Drivers
  • LG V60 with Jabra Elite 65t
I have no real complaints with any of these setups except for the fact that wearing my M40x cause my ears to sweat. I'm looking for something to replace them. From my understanding if I get open headphones I shouldn't have the sweating issue.

My budget is flexible but not looking to spend more than a few hundred dollars. I'm not sure what else I should include so PLMK if I've forgotten anything.

Thanks.

May 8, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 22
I have no real complaints with any of these setups except for the fact that wearing my M40x cause my ears to sweat. I'm looking for something to replace them. From my understanding if I get open headphones I shouldn't have the sweating issue.

My budget is flexible but not looking to spend more than a few hundred dollars. I'm not sure what else I should include so PLMK if I've forgotten anything.

Thanks.

In that price range, I find the often-recommended Sennheiser HD 6xx to fit your needs here. Open, fairly breathable, light, decent but not excessive clamping force; no sweat issue for me and good comfort. Very acceptable sound quality for $200, as well, and matches well with most genres (except those where sub-bass really pays off) with its sufficient soundstaging and slight warmth.

May 9, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 22
In that price range, I find the often-recommended Sennheiser HD 6xx to fit your needs here. Open, fairly breathable, light, decent but not excessive clamping force; no sweat issue for me and good comfort. Very acceptable sound quality for $200, as well, and matches well with most genres (except those where sub-bass really pays off) with its sufficient soundstaging and slight warmth.

I'll take a look, thanks. Figure I'll wait and see if there are any other recommendations before getting too into the HD 6XX. :)

May 9, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 22
Since you like the headphones you have I'd recommend you try something different to experience some new things. Why not try some planars? The 4xx from hifiman is a pretty nice sounding headphone with an open design. I use it for my gaming headset and it can wear it for hours without it getting too hot and sweaty. I think new they go for 140 from drop, but I got mine for under 100 used.

May 9, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 22

Thanks.
Soundmagic HP200 (open) headphones.

May 9, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 22
Since you like the headphones you have I'd recommend you try something different to experience some new things. Why not try some planars? The 4xx from hifiman is a pretty nice sounding headphone with an open design. I use it for my gaming headset and it can wear it for hours without it getting too hot and sweaty. I think new they go for 140 from drop, but I got mine for under 100 used.
I've been looking at getting the HE4XX myself :)

May 9, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 22

I've considered planars but I'm not familiar enough with headphones to figure out if they'll work for me. I tried to pick decent neutral entry level headphones for my initial setups.

I read some reviews comparing the HE400 with the HD6XX and people seemed to prefer the HD6XX.

May 9, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 22
I can strongly recommend the HD58X Jubilee. I mean it's quite similar to the HD6XX but with a little more bass. I think it would pair very nicely with your Modi/ Magni stack.
I really like my HD58X headphones :)

May 9, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 22
Can you elaborate on why you'd recommend them? I'm not familiar with Soundmagic.
Soundmagic HP200 headphones are like a cross between the Beyerdynamic DT880 & DT990.
They are considered somewhat like the HD6XX headphones.

May 9, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 22
Sony MA900, the sweaty ears headphone (k1000, mysphere, pfrv1 aside)

May 10, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 22
I'm considering the HE4XX but I keep seeing reviews talking about it being bright and harsh. Is that really the case?

My runner up choice would probably be a 58X or 6XX. I'm leaning towards the 58X out of the pair but I can't make up my mind.

May 10, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 22
I'm considering the HE4XX but I keep seeing reviews talking about it being bright and harsh. Is that really the case?

My runner up choice would probably be a 58X or 6XX. I'm leaning towards the 58X out of the pair but I can't make up my mind.
No, HE4XX is not at all harsh, but very dull sounding. 58X if you want to save money, but for the long run 6XX is the better investment, particularly if you like vocals. If you can only drive your headphone with portable devices, go with the 58X.

May 10, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 22
I can strongly recommend the HD58X Jubilee. I mean it's quite similar to the HD6XX but with a little more bass. I think it would pair very nicely with your Modi/ Magni stack.
I use my HD58X everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back