need a headphone audio switch
Mar 8, 2008 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Cirkustanz

100+ Head-Fier
I have two devices outputting 3.5mm headphone audio. One is a computer, another is a computer monitor. (long story, but a PS3 is connected directly to the monitor via HDMI, and the monitor has a 3.5mm audio output so I can hook it up to regular desktop speakers)

The speakers I am using are logitech 2200's, and they work just fine. But cable-switching from the PC to the PS3 is tedious. I tried a splitter, but as feared, the quality drops significantly when I do that.

I have seen some switches before, but they are always headset to speaker style switches, effectively being one input, and two outputs to choose from.

I need the other way around! Two inputs to choose from, and one output.

I'm close to just buying a new set of computer speakers, but honestly I'm quite happy with these, and nice computer speakers cost about $150+.

(it's just a setup in the bedroom, the good audio is out of my headphones or the living room)

Thanks headfi!

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 3
It's worth a shot I guess.

I have a related question.

From the PS3, which is connected to the computer monitor via HDMI, and from the monitor it outputs into a headphone 3.5 jack. I am assuming that I could just connect that port to the switch with a 3.5mm cable, like I do with the speakers now.

Another problem though, is the PS3 does not have a master volume level, and it is VERY loud. The speakers have a master volume level of course, and if this volume level is not very minimal, it is frankly too loud. When you are in a game you can change the volume level of most games of course, but I wish the PS3 just had a master volume control. Anyways, I'm sure that a person more technically inclined would just put a resister of some kind in there to attenuate the volume level, but I don't know how to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back