Need a good In-ear recommendation
Jun 16, 2009 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Rebel908

New Head-Fier
Hi, just signed up for head-fi, and I'm someone who's really addicted to having headphones on and listening to music.

I've gone through OEM headphones from the iPod touch

Skullcandy: Smoking Buds, Ink'd, Titan, Full Metal Jacket and Low-Riders

Various Sony buds (the 10.00 cheap ones)

I'm sick and tired of buying headphone after headphone. I'm a person who ALWAYS needs headphones on. They need to stand some form of abuse (nothing great, I don't rip them off and throw them all over). The main problem I face is that I fall asleep with my headphones on, and that adds around 4-8 hours of extra work per day, mainly because I don't like having the Touch's speaker on at night.

Please help! I don't want to spend more than $200, but a good recommendation under $100 would be appreciated. I prefer in-ear headphones.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 13
What are your musical tastes? How do you like your bass?

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 13
You mentioned you fall asleep while wearing your cheap earbuds. Do you plan on sleeping with your future 'phones (like lying on your side with them on/in)?

You say "between Rock and Hip-Hop". Does that mean you like strong boomy and "bom bom" kind of bass or do you like the "doom doom doom" accurate but round sounding bass?

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mentioned you fall asleep while wearing your cheap earbuds. Do you plan on sleeping with your future 'phones (like lying on your side with them on/in)?

You say "between Rock and Hip-Hop". Does that mean you like strong boomy and "bom bom" kind of bass or do you like the "doom doom doom" accurate but round sounding bass?

I intend to buy a pair of cheap 'phones and using the new ones as main day headphones, but I do expect to lay on my bed from time to time with the new ones. I prefer the "doom doom doom" bass.

I was using Cnet's list of top earbuds and the Audeo PFE's and Monster Turbine jumped out because of their price and quality. I was thinking of going Ultimate Ear, but I don't have that kind of many for headphones. Are any of the above headphones ideal for my situation?

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
phonaks are exceptional for their price but seem to have some build quality concerns I cannot comment on the turbines though.

Thats what I noted on from the CNET review. I'm worried about the cords and other intangibles.

I'm leaning towards the turbine, but my decision comes once I hear about the warranty.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 13
i just returned the beats by dr dre and bought some shure se210 and i cant get them out of my ears they are great. they will cost you a 150 bucks but they are worth it. at first they will sound a little weak on the bass but break them in. the longer i listen to them the better i get. you will hear things that you couldnt hear with the skullcandies. i know this because i have a pair of the smoking buds. if you dont want to go to the 150 range i also have a pair of sony MDREX300LP they sound great they will cost you about 70 or 80 bucks. good luck and let us know what you went with.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 13
I'm in a bind, because I'm looking to be close to having either the Adueo's or Turbine's, but I can't help but look at the Ultimate Ear stuff.

I hate being without headphones.................
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 13
well i can tell you that the beats by dr dre tour are very similar to the turbine. and those are nice but the shure se210s were much clearer. also that ultimate ear stuff is pretty pricey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back