Need a GOOD cellphone for the Verizon network.
Dec 27, 2006 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I'm a verizon subscriber and I hate it, but my bills are paid by my business and I'm stuck till 2008. My phone is a piece of crap that discharges within 24 hours and ruins phone chargers. Its the Motorola V60.

I want a replacement, I hate cell-phone bling. Don't need cameras and other dumb accessories, just something with a good reception and sound quality that can hold a friggin' charge.

I'm also probably going to buy it used on ebay, as I've got not desire to pay retail and I'm "not eligible" for a credit toward a new phone till April.

Suggest away!

Oh yeah--I really hate flip phones.

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 12
Dec 28, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 12
The best phone I ever used is (unlocked) Nokia E61; my current phone. I used lot of mobile phones since 1990 (over 30 make and model) and I always come back to Nokia for simple GUI and legendary signal strength. I also travel outside the US every other month and E61 always works with local SIM card. I can't ask for anything more from a phone that always works when you need it to work. Unforunately, I don't think Verizon has Nokia E61. Verizon has pretty limited selection of phones IMO.

Dec 28, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the recomendations so far. I think the E61 might be a bit more busy then I'm looking for--not really a fan of PDA phones. Had a couple Treo's in my day and hated them.

I definitely agree with you re: Nokia's being great and Verizon's selection sucking badly.

The 1600 looks more up my alley, but from what I can tell its not compatible with the Verizon network. http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/1600

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 12
anyone else?

Dec 28, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 12
Your V60 may not be 911 / GPS compatible; if that is the case, you should be able to upgrade it at a reduced cost. Also, keep in mind buying cell phones on eBay really requires you to try to activate the ESN first on your account, then you'll know if the phone is compatible with your network. You can activate another phone online yourself if you know the ESN.

Phone recommendation: Samsung SCH-a930, and that recommendation will change if your company uses the new Chaperone feature to locate you, in which case, I would get a a990 (higher cost).

Dec 28, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 12
PhoneScoop (www.phonescoop.com) is an excellent resource for cell phones. Don't get a phone that has a rating lower than 3 stars (ratings are an average of user votes, not the site's).

I have the Samsung A870 which is a good basic phone, has good battery life and excellent reception and sound quality. Much better than previous cell phones I've used.

And the A930 as already mentioned should be even better, while maintaining the same great reception and sound clarity.

Dec 28, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 12
I have had good service with Samsung on Verizon. I currently have an a950 (I think that's right, it's not on me right now). Nice phone, good signal comared to my last Samsung (which was still good), and good battery life.

I was going to get the extended battery, but my existing one works 2-3 days (48-72 hours) without need for recharge. Sometimes when I'm in an area with a weak signal, it discharges quicker, looking for signal if it can't find one. But otherwise, no issues.

Dec 28, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone else?

I think you're catching the fact here that Samsung makes great cell phones. Also, as a follow up to what I said earlier, make sure you can activate the ESN before buying on eBay; I've heard of a few horror stories about phones bought that can't be activated. Verizon has the SCH-a930 for $50 (2 Yr. Agt.).

Dec 28, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 12
I've had the Motorola V265 for 1.5 years. At that point the 'free' phones in the store had a GUI I didn't like so I went for the V265 for an additional $30 ($80 with $50 rebate). The worst phone I've ever used! Alarm will sound randomly, screen goes blank at any time, battery life will sometimes report as zero even though it was charged, it goes on and on. I'd avoid Pantech phones as well because my mom has one which only works sometimes.

I'd get a Nokia or a Samsung, as those seem to work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back