Need a good amp for Audeze LCD-3
Sep 4, 2015 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

halogamer

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying some Audeze LCD-3s soon and I needed a good amp to go along with it. I had previously planned to get a WA-6SE with the Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier and a pair of 6GL7/6EM7 drive tubes. I've been looking around and have noticed lots of people suggesting the Mjolnir Schiit for the LCD-3s. Which one would be the better sounding option?

Also, could someone recommend me a good DAC for these as well? Just something that will do these justice. My price range for the DAC would be around $1000.

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 11
Better is a subjective term. What kind of inputs and outputs do you need for your DAC? Audio-GD's DAC-19 would be good for an R2R solution, Schiit of course has options,,, you really have lots of choices.

What gear have you had in the past?

Maybe post in the LCD-3 thread with your total budget and ask for recommendations of synergistic gear?

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 11
Audio GD DAC 19 (10th Anniversary) is suposed to be a really good R2R DAC. I'm actually ordering one myself 
wink.gif
 You can add a NFB-1AMP for balanced or C-2 for SE to pair it with. Or you could get the Master 11 depending on how much you're willing to spend.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 11
  Better is a subjective term. What kind of inputs and outputs do you need for your DAC? Audio-GD's DAC-19 would be good for an R2R solution, Schiit of course has options,,, you really have lots of choices.

What gear have you had in the past?

Maybe post in the LCD-3 thread with your total budget and ask for recommendations of synergistic gear?

I would prefer a warmer sound. My current setup is a Beyerdynamic DT990 with a Fiio E17 DAC/Amp. The DAC should have at least a USB input.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 11
I listened to Audeze's own Deckard DAC/Amp at Can Jam and the LCD 3's sounded awesome on it.........I've never been satisfied with my own Audeze EL-8's on any other amp, but on the Deckard they sounded so great I almost cried. 

The Deckard may be worth looking into.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 11
I am looking for an amp for my HE-500 at the moment too, however, I would advise you to have a look at Burson products. Soloist in particular.

Skylab has mentioned he loved the LCD-3/Soloist combination in his review.

Good luck in finding an optimal amplifier!

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 11
There's so many options 
frown.gif

Do you think a GD Audio Master 11 would be good with this? If I were to go for the WA-6SE, would I be making a mistake? I kind of prefer the look of the WA and like the idea of being able to switch out the tubes for a new sound.

This is my first time getting a serious setup, so I don't make a mistake and go with something that doesn't mix well. I just want something that will get me good results no matter what.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm more of a separate components kind of guy, myself. All I can recommend is that if you get a single-ended DAC, get a single-ended amp... same for balanced. The Master 11 is well loved in the newer revision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back