NEED a good 2.1 System, Can't figure out which ones I really want...
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #16 of 22
Hey guys,
Thought I would update an old thread.  My needs are pretty typical, but I do have very limited desktop space and decided that 5" driver speakers would not work for me.  So to have decent bass I focused on 2.1 systems.  After spending WAY too much time looking at all the options I went with the Audioengine A2s ($180 with discount code) and a Pinnacle Subcompact8 off the manufacturer's Ebay store at $170 (factory warranty).  Some thoughts:

1. You can't get the AE Aego M in U.S. new.  Sad, this would have been "good enough" for me and simple.
  2. There is a Teufel- Looks fantastic- solid reviews.  NOPE!  We in the States can't have that either:
  3. The HK Soundsticks are what 95% of folks should buy- but not balanced enough for me/this market.  Heavy EQ would help, but not workable in my configuration.
  4. Klipsch are quite good and quite ugly.  Still not at a SQ level I want/need.
  5. The above 2 sets are much better in overall sound than any other mass market products I heard. (i.e. forget Creative and it's peers).
  6. Focal XS are lovely and RADICALLY overpriced.  Limited bass extension too.
  7. Blue Sky EXO2:  VERY interesting.  Did not get to hear them in the flesh but reviews describe them as a little sweet relative to most professional monitors- a very good sign for home/office use.  And the look really cool as a bonus, especially as a match to Apple products:
  8.  This latest version has made the sub smaller- 9" cube basically- sweet!  But I ultimately did not go with it because it was very inconvenient to hear it in person, there was scant info on use outside of a mixing environment and the satellites were a bit too wide to fit (5" although only a 3" driver).  And I don't want to add another small box to my desktop.  But I do think this product is well priced and people should check it out.  Also Blue Sky has a reputation for world-class customer service.
  9. The Swans seem to have highly questionable quality control.  I've owned Swan speakers and enjoy the voicing but I don't want to buy a headache.  The M50W is very attractive in the pictures and some good design choices were made.  Add $75 to the price, use real veneer and up the QC and I'd buy a set.
  10. The Energy and Mirage mini subs have weak LF extension and no protection for the passive drivers.  Too bad- they look great!
  11. The Velodyne Impact Mini is very nice all-around.  I'd buy this before the Audioengine sub at the $350 price point.  Comes in white too.
  12. The new Cambridge Minx is very intriguing, but the satellites are full-range drivers and SO small I'm a bit skeptical.  Unpowered satellites so it is possibly overpriced once amplified ($550+amp) but I have not heard it.  But looks are great:

So the A2s and a compact sub was the best option for me.  The Pinnacle Subcompact8 is a nice 10" cube and has a remarkably good low extension.  It also has gradual roll-off on the high end so it mates well with tiny satellites like the A2 better than pretty much any sub with equal extension.  I would suggest a sub location within the width of the satellites due to some localization.  What it cannot do is slam loud and deep so it's a really poor choice for home theater- no problem at the desk, though.  And Pinnacle should be ashamed of the pictures on the website- NOT flattering of their products.   E.g.:
 These subs look much sharper in the flesh.  Nice family-run business that employs Americans as much as possible if that matters to you (it does to me).

So, at $350 that is a fine desktop system.  I have enough left over in my budget for a new desktop DAC/preamp/headphone amp.  If money were no object I would probably go with Genelec monitors and the Microvee subwoofer.  Better yet, a shopping trip to the U.K. to audition all those elegant 2.1 systems we don't get here!

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #17 of 22
Hmm i see the Edifier S730 mentioned and where i'm at we have major IT shows where the higher end Edifier 2.1s are sold and my mate went with the S530D and for general HTPC/cable TV audio set up for a small/medium flat/apartment living room they do surprisingly well! Also for more balanced sounding 2.1s have a look at the Swan M50W? Never dismiss gems from the used market like a juicy pair of floor standers and beefy stereo/vintage amp hehe

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 22
Nice write-up.  I had looked into most of the units on your list too -- as well as several others -- and found something similar to what you did; most of the good 2.1 systems are not sold in the US.  I wanted to get the Swans M50W, but at that time there was not a single company in all of NA selling that model.  I did find the M20W and settled on that.

Not sure what the issue you sighted with Swans quality is though.  Mine is first rate, and plays beautifully over 2 years after I got them.  AAMOF, I have the system playing in the background at this very moment.  Frankly, I wish I could get my hands on more Swans speakers, but they really have a very poor distribution system in the US.

I probably still have that list of high-end 2.1 systems floating around.  I can dig it up if you want to look at more stuff.

BTW; the Cambridge Audio Minx speakers are very good, far better then their size would imply.  There's a pretty active thread over at avsforum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20530055) dedicated strictly to those speakers.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #20 of 22
The edifiers are the better 2.1 in a box sets, the s730 and s530. The audio engines are horrible speakers they cost £140 here in the uk and for that money there rubbish the creatives t20 or t40 are a better buy they don't have as much bass but there bass output comforms to there size where the audio engines are over compensated, the genelec 6010a have been getting alot of good reviews. The Cambridge Audio Minx do have alot of good reviews the CAMBRIDGE AUDIO MINX MIN20 gives you twice the sound, polk also do some nice satilite speakers http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM6751-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B0009X3JBU/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1326896750&sr=8-40 , also there small bookshelf speakers like the Energy CB-5 ,Mission MV-2 .

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #21 of 22
Hey,
sorry to trying to revive an 'old' thread, I'm currently stuck between choosing the M10, M20W and the AE Aego M.
Which one would you guys recommend? I mainly use it for music, gaming but i'm a bit of an audiophile, so i do care about my mids and highs as much as i do about my bass. To give you an idea what I own, i have a HD650 thats being powered by my graham slee voyager as well as a ciem.
Genres of music I listen to range from classical to house music. So everything basically...
Help would be greatly appreciated :D

May 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #22 of 22
Hey bigme, I don't know if you are still looking for an answer (it has been a few months), but I would say

No to the M10...unless you are in a small confined space with no outside noise, they are way to small in my opinion

No to the M20W because of the overheating issues mentioned by thJman

? to the AE Aego M, because I have no firsthand experience with them

What I will say, is that the AE Aego M seem like a good setup for a pretty awesome price.  However, I would suggest that there are alternatives to getting a 2.1 system.  Namely, buying the speakers and the subwoofer separately.  This gives you some more options for what you want to do, and what sort of aesthetics you might be looking for.  I know that you said you were a bit of an audiophile, and I am in love with Swans.  I've had their speakers for a couple years now and I could not be happier with how they sound, as well as how they look...classy!  I use them for a LOT of stuff, too.  Classical, house, trance, rap, ......pretty much any genre except for country (not hatin, I just don't relate).  Movies, gaming.  All of which I am very happy with.  I'm a total swans fanboy.

My setup is:

Swans D1080 mkii 08

and

Dayton SUB-100 HT

When I set out to get a 2.1 system, I couldn't find one that I loved through and through, so I decided to get the speakers I really wanted and get the sub later.  I actually had the speakers for almost a year before deciding to get a sub, partially because of money, but mostly because I didn't even feel the need to get a sub.

I don't know exactly how the prices in USD compare to pounds (this is an assumption of your monetary system solely because the only place I could find the Aego M was in the UK), but it seems like it would be about 50 to 60 pounds more to get the system I have as compared to the 130 for the Aego M.  If that was your price range, you could consider getting something smaller for the bookshelf speakers and an 8" sub to accompany them.  Just make sure that you have a bit of foresight and can prove to yourself that whatever speakers you buy you will be able to add the subwoofer you buy into the equation, otherwise you will end up not being able to use one of them and either have to buy more stuff or take something back.

I guess the ultimatum is that if you don't see the 2.1 system of your dreams, create it by getting a 2.0 setup and adding on a sub :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back