Need a good ($100 - $150) pair of CLOSED cans...
Jan 6, 2007 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

davidober

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of HD555's from a member here, and I love 'em, but they leak sound like a frickin' sieve!! I need some cans that will allow me to play computer games next to my wife who is watching a movie, or my daughter, who is playing a computer game without them being able to hear what I'm doing.

I will certainly consider used for the right price. I will use these cans for both computer games (FPS's and others) and for iTunes music via my PC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 19
these will be home cans, and a comfier solution in your price range is the Beyedynamic DT770/80 Ohm Pro, which you can get from Guitar Center for $150 if you price match from some internet store. That's what I use when my kid is blasting Thomas the Tank engine and the wife is downstairs watching Desperate Housewives!

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidober /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the Audio-Technica A500's recommended to me several times. Any thoughts on those?

i've heard the a500, nothing to write home about but ok for 100 bucks. the A900 LTD i've heard is up there with the DT770, but that's 200+ bucks. so cut it in the middle and get a DT770 for 150!

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 19
They 280's are a decent phone, but require a good amount of burning in before they become very "realistic" sounding (at least to my ears). They block out sound better than some noise canceling headphones, and clamp very tightly, however can be stretched a bit; but I have heard that the headband has a tendency to break if you're not careful when stretching them. Decent 'phone overall though. That might suit your needs nicely, and then leave you with enough to buy a portable amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 19
There's that comparison of 15 Closed Cans.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130998

HD280 block out a lot of background noise. I've missed phone calls and deliveries when I used them exclusively. The mids and highs are a bit recessed though, but I liked them for the price and they had lots of bass. You can get DT-770's, A900, and K271 used for around $150 or less. A900 is very comfy, and blocks out sufficient background noise. It doesn't isolate as well as HD280's but it also doesn't put a vice grip on your head. I've never owned the other two, so I won't comment on them.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidober /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the HD280 Pro's? I know they're only $85, but I've heard good things about them also...

Keep reading, you'll find the bad things ^_^.

Well, I see you went with some Audio Technica's. Personally I would have gone with the beyers, but for the price you should be happy. Not sure if they will be an upgrade to your HD555, but they will fit the bill by being a closed headphone.

I'd be interested to see how you think they compare to your HD555 once you've had them for a few weeks.

~Thanks, and enjoy!

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 19
I'll dial in another vote for the HD280pros. They really are fantastic for isolation and are perfect for gaming on a budget.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 19
I also recommend the 280's for isolation and sound combined.

The Beyers may give a slightly better sound, and I also recommend the AKG 271S as well. But both of them won't isolate quite as well as the 280's.

I haven't heard the A-T 500, but used to own the 900 (not the LTD). I was very good sounding as well, but also wasn't quite as isolating as the 280's.

After the extensive burn-in, the 280's to me sound very nice - a little on the lean side perhaps. But I've been surprised at the bass form them, even out of my Dell Lattitude 600's standard audio output. With an HPDac, they sing even more!

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 19
The HD280Pro is great for gaming. The bass is nice and deep, but not boomy and overpowering. They isolate very well and they're comfy. My only gripe is that the headband does have a tendency to crack at the screws on either side of the head cushion. I emailed sennheiser about the issue and haven't heard back from them yet as to how much it would cost to have them repaired.

If my HD280pro breaks then I'm going to be in the market for a new set of cans as well. So far I'm eying either the ATH-A700 ($125 from audio-cubes) or the MDR-V6/7506 ($70 from etronics ~ the same from Guitar Center). I haven't heard either but I should be able to audition the V6 here within a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back