Need a Digital Source w/ Several Definite Requirements: Please Advise?
May 7, 2008 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

crazyface

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

The following are must-haves:
The DAC MUST be set to Digital Master, and the method of media playback must be set to Digital Slave and synchronously clocked to the DAC. This is to eliminate jitter.
The source must be able to play at least CD's (MP3's and other lossless formats too would be awesome) and also must have a USB Input so that I can use it as the sound device of my PC. Support for at least 48khz, but 96khz 24-bit would be ideal.
It must cost (new or used) around $500 or less.

My PC is just too darned noisy to work for serious listening - not just in terms of fans and drives, but also electronic noise.

Other features would be great, but this is all that I need, so I'm stopping at these requirements in order to keep my options open.

So, in case I haven't made it clear, what I need is basically a playback device that has its media player and DAC in good teamwork, and that will let me plug in my PC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 19
You want some kind of combined media server and one-box CDP-come-DAC with USB input. I don't think any such thing exists at your budget. The closest I can think of is the Arcam Solo Mini or Cambridge 640H server.

May 7, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

The following are must-haves:
The DAC MUST be set to Digital Master, and the method of media playback must be set to Digital Slave and synchronously clocked to the DAC. This is to eliminate jitter.

I think among the products that are currently available, the closest you can get is dCS Elgar Plus or EMM DAC6e at approximately 10 times your budget for a second hand piece.

May 7, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 19
At the price point, the closest I could think of would be to cut CDs to your PC, keep the PC well away from the stereo, then stream over RF to a Squeezebox3 or similar.
No that won't have the guff mentioned about "digital master", however (a) I've no idea what you meant anyway, and (b) what matters is the sound quality, not the technical specifications.

May 7, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PC is just too darned noisy to work for serious listening - not just in terms of fans and drives, but also electronic noise.

In this kind of price range you are barely going to find 2nd hand Hi-Fi DACs never mind those which are going to offer USB inputs even if the DAC has any kind of sync capability which is also unlikely.

A better option is to build your own media PC which is quiet enough for Audio usage or maybe buy something like a Mac Mini and a 2nd hand or kit-form DAC.

Semi Pro DACs like those offered by M-Audio often have Word Clock sync which you can slave to the computers master clock. A pro level clock reference box costs more than your whole budget on it's own though...
eek.gif

May 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 19
yeah not having usb makes it way easier,
Although unless you already have a digital output on your PC, the best you would be able to do is plug the source into your PC via toslink or coaxial or AES/EBU which would require you to buy a new soundcard to transport your digital signal.

Ive never heard of a CD player that accepts digital input,

If I were you I would buy a laptop (much more quiet than PC's and also plays CDs) with digital output (solving the soundcard problem)
and also buy a decent, inexpensive DAC

You can find discounted laptop for around $500 and a decent DAC that accepts 96/24 signal for around $350 i think
(I can't name any off the top of my head tho)

May 7, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah not having usb makes it way easier,
Although unless you already have a digital output on your PC, the best you would be able to do is plug the source into your PC via toslink or coaxial or AES/EBU which would require you to buy a new soundcard to transport your digital signal.

Ive never heard of a CD player that accepts digital input,

If I were you I would buy a laptop (much more quiet than PC's and also plays CDs) with digital output (solving the soundcard problem)
and also buy a decent, inexpensive DAC

You can find discounted laptop for around $500 and a decent DAC that accepts 96/24 signal for around $350 i think
(I can't name any off the top of my head tho)

The Azur 840c accepts digital input. I'm sure there are others, but this one doesn't fit the bill since it's much more expensive than $500...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back