Need a definate answer about EAX - pls answer
Feb 7, 2004 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dave81983

New Head-Fier
I would like to know if the Plantronics DSP 500 headset can support EAX or any other types of 3d sound?

Im not just talking about being able to hear stuff around u, I mean actual EAX support.

Please if you KNOW (no speculation please) the answer to this question please post.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 11
Since there's nothing in any of the product documentation that mentions anything at all about EAX support, I will not bet on it. Speculate or not, I rather speculate it doesn't than speculate that it does.

Why are you considering getting these things anyway?

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 11
Well general consensus among most CS players is that it DOESN'T support EAX. Im assuming your getting these to play cs. IMO you can spend that money on something much better than a medicore headset with a built in sound card. If you already have a sound card that supports EAX or A3D, just get a regular headset for much cheaper, or get a good headphone + a cheap mic. Also, most ppl who have these say they are pretty fragile.

Feb 7, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 11
Support EAX? Headphones/speakers do not have to support EAX to get the EAX effect.. It's like saying that your headphones have to be able to support crossfeed in order for you to use that option. The EAX effect is produced through the soundcard, not the headphones.

Feb 7, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by zool
Support EAX? Headphones/speakers do not have to support EAX to get the EAX effect.. It's like saying that your headphones have to be able to support crossfeed in order for you to use that option. The EAX effect is produced through the soundcard, not the headphones.

The DSP 500s are a gaming headset that has a built in soundcard. It plugs into the USB port and overrides the PCS soundcard.

Feb 8, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 11
Although I'm not telling you or saying you should; my cousin has the DSP 500's and they're not half bad. They're small, light, and sound ok (not great, not 'good' by head-fi standards either, but for the avg consumer, they're nice) and the mic is nice when yer playing online games and don't want to have to deal with a mic elsewhere.

Having said this, I'd run as far away as possible from the DSP 500's unless you a) dont have a soundcard b) don't mind avg sound c) are an audiophile.

Feb 8, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 11
DSP is usb based, right? Then it would have it's own dsp, thus no eax. I went the 770/*insert mic here* route. You could also try...

Beyerdynamic
DT 290

Sennheiser PC150 or PC155<---This one is usb based tho.

Feb 8, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Newbie1
The DSP 500s are a gaming headset that has a built in soundcard. It plugs into the USB port and overrides the PCS soundcard.

Oh, IC.. Sounds like a stupid gadget to me.

Feb 8, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by zool
Oh, IC.. Sounds like a stupid gadget to me.

Not necessarily. It works pretty good for gamers that play on LANS alot, because alot of the LAN computers have bad soundcards. For regular homeplay though, its not necessary and is actually a waste of money, considering it retails for $100 IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back