Need a decent tripod ($200-300)
Mar 1, 2006 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone recommend a good tripod in the $200-300 range? I don't really need carbon fiber as the weight is not an issue. Stability, however, is definitely an issue, since I'm using the Canon 70-200L variant that doesn't have IS (camera is the 20D).

I was looking at some of the higher-end Gitzo's but they're pretty expensive... maybe used?

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 4
I recommend the Bogen Manfrotto tripod systems, as they are very sturdy and you don't have to buy a separate head. The geared heads are nice, but they can get sticky after a while (unless you maintain them with light greasing on a regular basis). I like the 3047 head myself because of the quick 3-way adjustment, and bubble levels are very useful. No need to buy the bulkier, heavier models (you can even make do with a small tripod with an 8x10 view camera system, if you're careful enough). B&H Photo has a nice selection of them and that's where I'd buy them.

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 4
I just sold a Feisol CF 3 section with a Bogen-Manfrotto ballhead for $150. You can get a carbon fiber Fiesol for around $250 new at www.thresholdconcepts.com Home page is at www.feisol.com They are pretty solid IMO.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 4
I have a Bogen Professional Model 3221 with a 3047 Deluxe 3-Way Pan Head. This thing is built like a tank, if you are interested send me a PM.

My 35mm camera gear was stolen and this has been siting in a closet with a set of studio lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back