Need a Decent Pair of Closed Cans
Jun 26, 2009 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rugerdog

New Head-Fier
I know that these types of threads are all over the place here, but after countless hours of searching reviews and forums, I still haven't been able to make a decision.

I'm looking to upgrade from my PC166 headset (it's Sennheiser, but the sound isn't so great) to some nicer headphones for the dorm next year.
This is what I'm looking for:
• headphones good for both music and gaming
• price of ~ $100
• a generally neutral sound
• decent isolation and little sound leakage
• something that would sound good unamped
• portability is certainly nice, but not paramount

I think my best bet is probably the ATH-A700, ATH-M50, or the AH-D1001, but I can't make out much of a difference between the three.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 12
My first closed can in that range was the Senn HD280 and I loved them

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome.

The A700 is not portable. FWIR, the D1001 does not isolate (block external sound) well at all. So it seems the M50 would be the best for you of these. The M-Audio Q40 is another you may want to consider.

What he said, pretty much.

The D1001 doesn't let sound out.. but it does let sound in.
It isolates about 50%.

A700 has been said not to be that great of a performer.
I've also heard the same about the A40.

I would go with the ATH-M50 or the D1001.

Jun 27, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A700 has been said not to be that great of a performer.

As portable headphones, you mean?

Another suggestion: Sony MDR-V6.

Jun 27, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugerdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how does the sound quality of the m50 compare to the others? Is it only really a matter of personal preference?

It is a matter of personal preference, synergy (like how well it works with your equipment), and utility (like portability).

I don't recall reading a single post that directly compared each of these headphones.

So considering what you're looking for, I'd say your best options would be the M50, HFI550, and Q40.

I haven't heard any of these three headphones. If forced to buy one, I'd probably go with the Q40 due to its warmer sound. However, I have no interest in buying any of them because I am really enjoying my modded Creative Aurvana Live! mostly from a cheap sound card.

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugerdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how does the sound quality of the m50 compare to the others? Is it only really a matter of personal preference?

I recently tried out the m50s, and they impressed me very much. They were easily driven by my old iBook, and they don't clamp that hard. The isolation is quite good as well. Regarding the sound, I found it to be very good at reproducing percussion and bass, two aspects of music I tend to pay particular attention to (sometimes TOO much
smily_headphones1.gif
) The bass was clear and deep, and the percussion instruments were natural sounding. I would say these phones lean more towards bass, though I would by no means consider them to be "bass-heavy" per se. I would try them out to get a feel for the sound, they are sold at most if not all Guitar Centers, though they charge about $70 more than Amazon.com. However, I would recommend waiting for the new Shure headphones to come out in less than a month, you might find one of those to be your favorite.

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 12
I own the Ultrasone HFI550 and the ATHM50s, the Audio technicas have more impactful bass, a good detailed more in your face sound, the ultrasones have more extended bass a slighly better soundstage, and a little more extension and detail in the sound, The m50 sound better though without an amp though and would be better for music but the ultrasones would be better for gaming IMO because of the soundstage so you can pinpoint better your location in a game, Ive never used either for gaming though.

oh yeah and he M50s are extremely comfortable

If you decide to get the M50s or Ultrasones Im selling both since I decided to go go with open ultrasones for now. I have an ad on FS thread for he M50 right now.

Best of luck in your search and feel free to ask me any questions.
L3000.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As portable headphones, you mean?

Another suggestion: Sony MDR-V6.

I've read that the A700 is not as good as the AD700.
..and I think that the D1001 is on par with the AD700. (Different strengths, however)

But I've never heard the A700, so I could be wrong.
It's not portable, so it doesn't really matter.

I second the suggestion. Sony MDR-7506 could be worth a thought too.

Jun 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 12
I'd like to second the vote for the Sony MDR V6 or MDR 7506. Excellent pair of cans. Neutral/slightly forward sound. Can be bought online for 100 flat or slightly less. Can be used unamped. Do audition them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back