Need a DAC with optical in and RCA out
Oct 30, 2017 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KneelJung

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently own an audio-gd NFB 15. Before that I had an Audio-gd Sparrow. The Sparrow died so I replaced it with the NFB 15. I like that both were combo units, but I never really utilized the optical in on the Sparrow. I do with the 15.

NFB 15 connected to computer via USB, Big screen connected to DAC via optical, and a pair of desktop speakers connected via the RCA outs. I love being able to switch between speakers, and headphones as well as between USB and optical. So at a minimum the DAC will need to be able to do that.

I'm in kind of a conundrum right now. I purchased a new computer because the old one has gotten a little quirky, slow, and frustrating. I can't get the drivers Kingwa of Audio-gd said I should use to install on the new one. So the conundrum is return the new computer to Amazon, and pay the restocking fee, and continue with the quirky, old, slow computer...or keep the new one, and bite the bullet on a new DAC. Preferably it has an amp too like the Sparrow, and NFB 15, but I'm not opposed to a DAC, and an amp.

Need an amp. The Grado HF2's dont need a lot of help if any, but I have a pair of modified Fostex T50's that thirst for power. Those are the ones I listen to most of the time. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

If I could get the drivers for the Audio-gd to install my problems would be solved. So far no help from Acer Support, Windows Support, Audio-gd, or the Head Fi community on that front. Installed them twice on my Compaq with Windows 7. Once when the DAC was new, and once after I reset the computer to factory. They dont want to install on the Acer though.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 6
What about the Schiit Stack?

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 6
That's a definite possibility. I was thinking about that when I replaced the Sparrow with the NFB 15. It looks like the Modi does everything I want it too. I'm guessing that's a button on the front that let's you choose between usb and optical?

I think I would prefer the Asgard to the Magni. More juice for the T50's. My biggest concern on both the Magni and Asgard though is I dont see a switch for headphones or speakers. I assume the headphone jack is the switch? Headphones in signal to headphones. Headphones out, signal to RCA outs. I could live with it, but I like the switch on the NFB.

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 6
That's a definite possibility. I was thinking about that when I replaced the Sparrow with the NFB 15. It looks like the Modi does everything I want it too. I'm guessing that's a button on the front that let's you choose between usb and optical?

I think I would prefer the Asgard to the Magni. More juice for the T50's. My biggest concern on both the Magni and Asgard though is I dont see a switch for headphones or speakers. I assume the headphone jack is the switch? Headphones in signal to headphones. Headphones out, signal to RCA outs. I could live with it, but I like the switch on the NFB.
Switches are rare from what I've seen :/ You'll have to unplug the 1/4" to use only the RCA out. As for power, the Magni 3 actually pumps out more power into 50 ohms. 1W Asgard VS 1.3W Magni 3. Not saying Asgard isn't good, but Magni 3 is a hell of a deal. And yes, the front button is the input selection.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for your replies cossix. I like that that the Magni is $100 less, and looks better with the Modi.
Magni 3 is definitely the best amp at $100 by far, IMO. Can't go wrong with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back