Need a DAC to use with Canamp and AKG 701s
Jan 10, 2009 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mosmef06

New Head-Fier
Looking for a DAC to run with my Heed Canamp and K701s. I am using my computer as a source (mainly FLAC and MP3 files). Optical out or USB are my options for the line out from my computer. I am looking to spend less than $150. Since Ive got the Canamp, I do not need a DAC/Amp combo, just a strait DAC. I would be willing to try someones home brew built DAC, if it comes highly recommended. Essentially, I am open to all suggestions!
Thanks!

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Sorry for bumping old thread but I have the same problem.
Need USB DAC for my Canamp+K701 combo.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 9
SoundStage! Equipment Review - Stello DA100 Digital-to-Analog Converter (12/2006)

I particularly like this part of the review:

At a mere $695 USD, the Stello DA100 DAC more than meets the affordable end of the equation -- even for the most parsimonious among us. Heck, I’ve just spent twice that on a new phono cartridge, and four times that for a new CD player. And don’t even get me started on my cable and accessory collection.

I dont think the reviewer has the same definition of 'parsimonious' as many Head-Fiers.
evil_smiley.gif

This is why many here claim you need to treat phones like the K701 as $2K acquisitions, and source/amp them appropriately. Good luck.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Have a look at the HRT MusicStreamer for 99US from musicdirect (dot com)
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 9
For what it's worth, the Stello is a brilliant source. Best I've yet heard for under $700, except for older, less-expensive DACs that HF'ers would never buy anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back