Need a DAC Doc? Help?
Jan 25, 2008 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

barmar46

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a Headroom Balanced Amp/Dac with home module. I have senn 650s which are know to be on the dark side. I've changed from k701s and changed from one Headroom amp and dac to another. One constant has been my Cambridge 540c V1 cd player which is known to be on the bright/stident side.

Bottom line, all along my cds seem to have an overall edge of stridency w/some sibilence. Even switching from 701s to the 650s. I like to overall sound of the HR balanced combo but is it the HR sound sig overall that's sharp for me and would it be better to return the package amp/dac and get an external dac that may be warmer and more euphonic? If so which dac would best synergize with the overall system? Price is a factor. (The internal dac is $400) Also I have a "gift" of Equinox balanced cables on their way. Will that help? I just wanna' take away the sharpness and mellow out!

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 5
It may be that the HeadRoom DACs don't sound good to you. I wouldn't fault your transport, since its digital output won't greatly influence sound quality in the way that a change in external DAC would.

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 5
Not too experienced with DACs, but getting a tube DAC (a Little Dot MKIII for instance) will really bring out warmth in your music. In my opinion it would be better than the on-board amp in the Desktop. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back