Need a DAC and amp for the Audez'e LCD-2 R2...
Oct 22, 2011 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

johnzz4

500+ Head-Fier
I've been doing some reading up on some DAC/amp combos to pair with the LCD-2.  So far, I'm looking at the Nuforce HDP and also the Burson HA-160D.  I really don't want to spend much over $1k, so the Burson would be about as much as I want to spend.

I'm also not hooked on a combo.  If a separate DAC and amp would be better, I'm all ears.

One other thing, I'm a bit sensitive to overly hot treble.  I just bought the Sennheiser HD-800s and returned them since their top end was a bit to sharp for me.  I'm loving the LCD-2s (though admittedly sometimes miss the obscene soundstage of the HD-800s).  I bring this up since if a particular DAC/amp is typically referred to as 'bright', it's likely not for me...

Thanks for the help!!

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Oct 22, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 6
A bright amp/DAC isn't normally bright. It's neutral. It's only bright for some people because they're used to rolled off equipment and/or like bright headphones that don't mesh well with neutrality. I'm not actually aware of any amp with boosted treble, only neutral treble or rolled off treble.

The CEntrance DACport and DACmini are good. The Yulong D100 and Matrix Quattro would likely serve you better, because they don't have high output impedance and so won't run the risk of under damping. I don't notice the effect of 10 ohm output impedance on my LCD-2, but you're better safe than sorry.

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Agreed, I think what you are looking for is a DAC\AMP with rolled off treble. Treble rolled off equipments are usually more musical and without treble stimulation it's more confortable for long-time listening. I have to admit myself into the same sound orientation after getting used to my Hifiman 801, for a period everything else without rolled off treble will somehow be considered "too bright" to me.

You may also consider Lavry DACs, eg DA10, DA11, as they are the type you may like but without any sacrifice for detailes, it's a little out of your budget though. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 6
The LCD-2 already has shelved treble. I don't see the point in getting a dark amp for them.

The DA10 and DA11 are dead neutral as far as I know.

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the clarification... I know looking at frequency responses on various amps, they're typically very linear.  When playing with the LD MKIII, I noticed there was no harshness to the music, though I seemed to lose some detail as well compared to a solid state amp.  I want to make sure I'm going to 'hear' the difference between a $300-400 DAC/amp combo versus one around the $1000 mark.  What can I realistically expect?   Differences in soundstage, clarity, imaging, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back