Need a DAC/Amp combo. Around 350 dollars budget!
Jun 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fetoll

New Head-Fier
So my old soundcard just broke (Asus Essence STX) because it got overheated. I basically dont have enough space with my graphics card in my computer so another soundcard would also not be the best thing. Dont ask me why =)

So ive thought about getting an DAC/Amp combo. Of course i have looked into the Asus Essence One but ive read on the forums that its basically overrated and that only computer geeks that have no knowledge have reviewed them. So i dont know..... Im not the audiophile that knows all my stuff, but i know some. It feels that the Asus Essence one is good for me because its pretty accessable for a guy like me.

I also would like a the combo to be suitable for speakers and quite future safe aswell. If that makes any sense! Im swedish so sorry for any misspellings =)

If there is a DAC/Amp combo that you guys can recommend please write!

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 7
There's plenty of outboard devices similar to the Essence One - some cost more, some cost less. In no real order here's some models to track down and look at:

Audio-Technica ATH-HA25D and HA26D
Firestone FUBAR IV
Grace m902 and m903
HeadRoom Desktop Amp
Benchmark DAC1
FiiO E17 Alpen
Cambridge DACMagic Plus
Music Hall DAC25.3
Musical Fidelity M1HPA
etc

All comes down to how much you want to spend and what features you want or need.

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Seeking, like you, a DAC / AMP to use with both headphones and speakers, and before purchasing a Nuforce Icon HDP (a little above your budget), I considered the Fostex HP-A3 and the Esi Dr. Dac Prime, both available from Thomann for slightly less than 340 euros. The ESI dac, in particular, seems to offer an impressive feature list. The Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11 looks good as well. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Jun 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
So my old soundcard just broke (Asus Essence STX) because it got overheated. I basically dont have enough space with my graphics card in my computer so another soundcard would also not be the best thing. Dont ask me why =)
So I've thought about getting an DAC/Amp combo. Of course i have looked into the Asus Essence One but ive read on the forums that its basically overrated and that only computer geeks that have no knowledge have reviewed them. So I don't know..... I'm not the audiophile that knows all my stuff, but i know some. It feels that the Asus Essence one is good for me because its pretty accessable for a guy like me.
I also would like a the combo to be suitable for speakers and quite future safe as well. If that makes any sense! I'm Swedish so sorry for any misspellings =)
If there is a DAC/Amp combo that you guys can recommend please write!

Is this setup for music? gaming? movies?

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 7
music is my number one priority. i intend to use my HD650s and in the future some speakers aswell. if i can find a combo that does music well, and movies pretty well, that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back