Need a Closed Headphone Recommendation
Apr 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GuruSY

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fi!

I am using an iBasso D10 at work with my Ultrasone HD-780s.

I do not like the 780s, they are too harsh for me. But I really like their isolation at work. I need real good isolation because I like to listen to music loud.

With search and browsing I have seen the following options. My budget is 1k but I can go a little higher if necessary.

D5000
D7000
W7000
ESW9
Edition 9

I have seen the ESW10jpn reviews, but I cannot find these suckers for sale.

I'm wary about the Edition 9's because I don't like my 780s, but if they sound significantly different I will listen. Also, these don't seem like they are widely available.

My music preferences are: classical, jazz, opera, and blues mostly. I do listen to everything though.

My favorite sonic signature is my home setup with my re-cabled HD580s with my Little Dot MK IV. I just love the way this combo sounds, and would like to re-create it at work if possible.

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 20
Why not get the Audio Technica W1000X they are supposed to go pretty well with those genres. I just got my pair and I'm loving them. They can be found relatively cheaply on pricejapan.com

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 20
Kenwood KH-K1000. Doesn´t have them but from what I read maybe an option? Supposed to be a bit sennish
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 20
You may want to try the ULTRASONE PROline 750's. They are insane! and good with classical music.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 20
The Denons don't isolate too well, so people nearby may hear what you're listening to.
Nor are they neutral phones, which I believe (FWIR) are the preferred phone for classical and jazz.

For $1000 you could get some pretty good IEM's. They isolate well and with research, you might find the sound you are looking for. At this price range you could venture into the realms of custom moulded moniters.

Of course you probably want headphones as they are more obvious and co-workers will know that you aren't simply ignoring them
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not get the Audio Technica W1000X they are supposed to go pretty well with those genres. I just got my pair and I'm loving them. They can be found relatively cheaply on pricejapan.com

Either the phones above or the ATH W5000. I am also waiting to see what ATH comes out with on the 25th Anniversary models. I love my W5000 though.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 20
I know a lot of people who enjoy D7000 for classical. I thought it did quite well when I owned them also, but i preferred open ended headphones. If you didn't say closed, Sennheiser would have immediately came to mind.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuruSY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi head-fi!
My music preferences are: classical, jazz, opera, and blues mostly. I do listen to everything though.

For those genres, I highly recommend Audio Technica headphones. I have both the ESW10JPN and the W1000x and they are both great in their own ways. My W1000x isn't fully burned in yet, but it has a very balanced sound with good bass, sound stage, and reverberation of instruments used in jazz, etc. They are also slightly on the warm side which I find is very good with these styles.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 20
I sure hope we are right about a new AT Flagship coming out. It is time for them to come out with the replacement for the W5000 so I will be content until then. If it is crappy then I can always go the HD 800 route I guess. Man I love this hobby, LOL. All it takes is money.

May 1, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recommend the ATH-W1000X and I listen primarily to classical.

May 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 20
ATH-W1000X doesn´t isolate your ears too well. They don´t leak much though.

May 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-W1000X doesn´t isolate your ears too well. They don´t leak much though.

Agreed. The OP mentioned sound leakage though as being his concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back