Need a cheap, yet decent quality 6' mini-mini cable
Aug 30, 2004 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
I need a cable as the title suggests. Doesn't need to be a fancy 1 cm thick wire, but I would like some decent gold-plated jacks. I contacted norm @ headsave and he wants $40 for such a cable, which is the most outrageous thing I've ever heard of. For that price, the whole thing should be made of gold...

Anyway, can someone give me suggestions or make me an offer?

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 11
I think I paid slightly under $25 a little over a year ago from MarkerTek for a 6' cable using Canare F-12 1/8" connectors (not gold-plated, but well-made) and Canare StarQuad cable.

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
I think I paid slightly under $25 a little over a year ago from MarkerTek for a 6' cable using Canare F-12 1/8" connectors (not gold-plated, but well-made) and Canare StarQuad cable.

Not bad, but right now I'm thinking maybe building my own would be the best option. It doesn't get much simpler to do, and it's probably cheaper.

That MarkerTek site is so slow it's vitually unusable. Sorry.

Aug 30, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 11
Not sure what "cheap" means but Head-Fier Fiddler makes nice cables. He made me an RCA to mini that sounds very nice. I think he's in Mall-Fi
CPW
PS Let us know what you come up with. I may need one soon for an AirTunes connection.

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Not sure what "cheap" means but Head-Fier Fiddler makes nice cables. He made me an RCA to mini that sounds very nice. I think he's in Mall-Fi
CPW
PS Let us know what you come up with. I may need one soon for an AirTunes connection.

Contacted him, but have a bad feeling he won't be any cheaper than norm.

I have a funny feeling I'm going to end up making my own...everyone just seems to like overcharging on these kinds of things, heck, everything.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
...everyone just seems to like overcharging on these kinds of things, heck, everything.

how dare a business try to actually make money
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Not bad, but right now I'm thinking maybe building my own would be the best option. It doesn't get much simpler to do, and it's probably cheaper.

That MarkerTek site is so slow it's vitually unusable. Sorry.

I'm not sure he he bought the parts pre-assembled, but markertek does carry the individual parts that allow you to build the cables yourself. I suggest you try to go to their website again (it was fine for me at the time of this post). I think the Star Quad was like $0.67 per foot, but I don't remember the cost of the connectors.

Sep 1, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamnid
I'm not sure he he bought the parts pre-assembled, but markertek does carry the individual parts that allow you to build the cables yourself. I suggest you try to go to their website again (it was fine for me at the time of this post). I think the Star Quad was like $0.67 per foot, but I don't remember the cost of the connectors.

I did buy it pre-assembled from them. IIRC, it wasn't much more expensive than building it from component parts, definately not more than $10 compared to component parts and I think cheaper actually. I just found the invoice and the cable was $16.85 and still is, and the part number was SC6MZMZ for a black 6'. After shipping I think it may have been $27, which really isn't bad.

Sep 1, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by carterondrums
how dare a business try to actually make money
rolleyes.gif

I have no problem with businesses making money, it's just that reselling at 4x the cost of parts is overdoing it IMO.

OK, I'm ready to order the stuff, I even got my dad in on this, but I have to ask - is this really going to serve me well? The Radio shack "gold series" interconnects I just got for temorary use are not sheilded, resulting in a nice hiss due to placement near my monitor and other electronic stuff. But is this Canare stuff going to be any better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back