Need a cheap turntable...
Nov 24, 2009 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Headphoneus Supremus
I need to get a cheap turntable for the family. They have come upon a large collection of LPs and want to be able to play them. I don't want anything fancy, hard to use or expensive. I would much prefer an in production turntable as well.

Any suggestions?
regular_smile .gif

EDIT:
What about a Music Hall MMF 2.2 with a NAD PP-2?

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to get a cheap turntable for the family. They have come upon a large collection of LPs and want to be able to play them. I don't want anything fancy, hard to use or expensive. I would much prefer an in production turntable as well.

Any suggestions?
regular_smile .gif

EDIT:
What about a Music Hall MMF 2.2 with a NAD PP-2?

This sounds like you are describing a Technics 1200 MK2. It is more in production than any other turntable in the world today and also the easiest to use of any turntable I know of. It's not fancy, very easy to set-up and built like a tank. It is sort of the family pick-up truck of new available turntables.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 14
I've heard that it is a DJ turntable and doesn't sound very good for use in a stereo... How would it compare to the music hall MMF 2.2? Other than having a manual tonearm, it looks very easy to use as well.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 14
^ It is a DJ table, but it is well-built and infitely upgradeable. As is, I would think it would be better than the 2.2. With an arm upgrade, it will outclass that entry-level table in every way.

And this is coming from someone who owns a Pro-Ject Xpression III - pretty much the upgraded version of the 2.2 (Pro-Ject and Music Hall are made in the same factory).

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 14
I would go with the 1200 over the music hall or look at Craigslist in your area for used a used sony ps-x 5, 6 ,7 or 500, 600 the you can also find various used Denon like the 37, 47 in the $300 ish range and there are also several good pioneer tables as well as kenwoods. All should provide extremely satisfying sound at a great price.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 14
Craig from Eddie Current brought a technics 1200 to the last norcal meet that sounded really good.
He didn't even mod it or anything so yes, it can sound very good for the money.
I actually have one but no listening yet since i'm still waiting for Craig to make his phono pre.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Ok... does the 1200 come with a decent cartridge, and where can I get replacements? Is it easy to align/calibrate the cartridge, are there online instructions for this anywhere? Finally will I need a phono preamp?

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Ok... does the 1200 come with a decent cartridge, and where can I get replacements? Is it easy to align/calibrate the cartridge, are there online instructions for this anywhere? Finally will I need a phono preamp?

It does not come with a cartridge and you will need a phono preamp if you don't have a receiver with a phono jack on the back. The table comes with an alignment gauge that makes it very easy to install a cartridge. I would recommend a Denon DL-110 for a cartridge which seems expensive but it matches the arm very well and you can get a moving magnet,(MM), phono preamp at phonopreamps.com if you are on a tight budget. You can get cartridges at LPgear and the needledoctor.

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Finally will I need a phono preamp?

Yes, absolutely. But, be careful, buying a budget turntable has a habit of turning into an addiction....costing thousands of dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back