Need a cheap pair of running/jogging earphones
Nov 6, 2009 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am trying help my friend find a pair of earphones at low budget.

She wanted to solicit my opinion on what she should get for running. I started by asking her what her budget is, and what kind of sound she is into - IEM vs earbuds, tonality, soundstage, impact, decay, etc. It didn't take long for her to lose me there, so she's no audiophile by any stretch of imagination
smily_headphones1.gif

I just gave her a listen on my relatively new pair of PL-50s, and she was surprised by isolation, and how different it sounded from everything she has heard up until now. When asked if the change was for better, she couldn't answer but said things sounded more like "live music" rather than recorded, perhaps with more details than with other earphones (earbuds, most likely).

We agreed that microphonics (or lack of thereof) and ability for the phones stay put in the earholes is probably the most important thing for workout phones - something IEMs worn over the earlobes are best at IMO; isolation is a plus to her, but not a must it appears.

With all that being said, her budget is ideally at around $20 after tax/bing CB or whatever, probably the best she can do is around $30ish.

Do we have any compelling choice here (or anything at all, for that matter)?

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 12
For a beginner the Soundmagic PL30 (cord worn up) or JVC AirCushions (cord worn down) might be the friendliest IEM. Both are comfy and relatively low on microphonics.

Other options:
Soundmagic PL21
JVC HA-FXC50
Meelectronics Ai-M9
Maybe refurb Apple Dual-Drivers

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 12
*Soundmagic PL30 ($25 mp4nation.net) - Fun, forward mids, lots of accessories, comfy, over-the-ear and low on microphonics
*JVC HA-FX66 "Air Cushion" ($19 ButterflyPhoto) - extremely comfortable. Cable worn down. Very popular sound - lacks the clarity and extension of the Meelecs and the spaciousness of the PL30

*MEElec AI-M9 ($17 overstock.com) - Incredible detail for the price, very balanced, good treble extension and clean bass, great customer support. Some issues with build quality. The detail freak's choice.
*Lenntek Sonix ($20 costco.com) - Deep, huge bass, focus on mids and lows, cheap, very well-built. The basshead's choice.
*Soundmagic PL21 ($21 focalprice.com) - More bass than PL30, very full-sounding, not as accurate and balanced as PL30 but a more "popular" sound signature - a little darker and smoother.
*JVC HA-FXC50 ($25 amazon.com) - Very interesting sound given by the tiny driver at the tip of the earphone - punchy, bright, and detailed. Not as comfy as the air cushion and soundstage is lacking.
*ADDIEM ($30-$40 ebay.com) - Very balanced sound, no real flaws. Detail is very impressive.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 12
Where does she run? On paths or on streets? Isolation, such as that of the PL30, can be dangerous on streets but OK for paths.

Earbuds offer a good combo of just enough isolation to hear but not too much so that you can't hear traffic. The Yuin line works well for me in that respect. They hold up well to sweat, tugging, etc.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where does she run? On paths or on streets? Isolation, such as that of the PL30, can be dangerous on streets but OK for paths.

Earbuds offer a good combo of just enough isolation to hear but not too much so that you can't hear traffic. The Yuin line works well for me in that respect. They hold up well to sweat, tugging, etc.

Yeah, I told her all about that too, and she's gonna be running on treadmills only. Isolation is for use at work, commuter trains, library, etc.

joker, thanks for a quick response. Seeing how I liked PL-50s purchased as per your suggestion, I am sure those are excellent choices as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 12
I coincide with the general recommendations here: PL30 and Air Cushion. Both models offer a great SQ for the price.

This said, I would recommend the Air Cushion over the PL30 because *for me* are way much more comfortable than PL30. With my PL30 I was not capable of keeping the cable over the ear even when walking, let alone running.

But the cable is not the only problem with PL30. For me they weren't comfortable at all after one or two hours, while my old Air Cushion (may them rest in peace, they were chewed by my cat) could be in my ears for eight hours in a row without notice.

Last but not least, although I found Air Cushions a bit on the bassy side, I like their sound more than the sound of PL30, which I found a bit lacking on the midrange. Of course this is a very subjective appreciation and I wouldn't recommend the AC over the PL30 based on this assertion. The PL30 are VERY good for the price.

Summing up: I would choose AC because of comfort, but the ears of your friend may be different. I know one person that finds the PL30 extremely comfortable... because he doesn't put the drivers properly all the way into the ear. Which, BTW, is the cause he finds the PL30 have a very very very bad sound quality with no basses at all... Comfort must be evaluated with the drivers properly inserted in the ear canal.

I almost forgot: I love IEMs for the isolation, but when I'm wearing them I switch into "extra-environment-aware-mode", to avoid problems with traffic, people trying to warn me, etc. So, if she is going to use them running, she will have to cover with her eyes what she is going to lose in the ears, because wearing Air Cushions is, in my experience, like being utterly deaf. Be careful!

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 12
The FXC-50 are far superior than the Air Cushions, at least in my experience, except for the comfort. More detail, tighter bass, great highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back