Need a card for Laptop
Dec 16, 2006 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rob187

New Head-Fier
I'm currently running an Audigy 2 NX. For around 100, maybe a little more, is there a significant upgrade I can make?

Also, I want to run a pair of Grado 225s through this without an amp. Would my Audigy or another card get sufficient use out of the Grados?

Thanks.

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 17
Buy an Edirol UA-1ex. $79.

I haven't gotten mine yet, but everything I've read on them is top notch. I hear it's as comparable to a Indigo DJ if not better for it's future capabilities.

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 17
The NX is regarded as a dece card...till you hear something else. It's noisy in comparison, from what I've read. There's another local Head-Fier that we'll be getting together and comparing the Indigo DJ - Edirol - NX. FWIW, he's selling his NX because the DJ is that much better. And the edirol is seen as a very comparable alternative. The pros to the edirol? It's not just a PCMCIA car, it's used via USB, so it can be used on an app other than a laptop. It also has an optical out. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but it's a dece card.

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 17
emu 02 for cardbus if u can get ur hands on it, very excelent DAC, better than echo indigo can offer.

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 17
Im beginning to become interested in the Total Bithead, A) because it looks like a quality piece and B) becaues of it's portability (not essential but would be nice to use with Ipod).

Anyone know how it stacks up with the EMU 0202 or 0404... or the Indigo DJ or Edirol UA-1ex? Thanks

*EDIT* Where I'm at now is just going with the phones and see how they work with the NX. After a while of listening I'll look into other upgrades.

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 17
I have the M-Audio Audiophile USB and the Echo Indigo DJ. The Audiophile USB is noticeably more detailed and generally more refined sounding than the Indigo DJ line-out. The Indigo DJ has better technical specifications, but it looks like tech specs don't say nothin' about the sound
tongue.gif
I'm using a Chord Cobra 3 RCA between the Audiophile USB and the 006tMk1 and used to use a SignalCable Analogue Mini between the Indigo DJ and the 006tMk1.

Dec 18, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the M-Audio Audiophile USB and the Echo Indigo DJ. The Audiophile USB is noticeably more detailed and generally more refined sounding than the Indigo DJ line-out. The Indigo DJ has better technical specifications, but it looks like tech specs don't say nothin' about the sound
tongue.gif
I'm using a Chord Cobra 3 RCA between the Audiophile USB and the 006tMk1 and used to use a SignalCable Analogue Mini between the Indigo DJ and the 006tMk1.

Is Audiophile so much better then Transit? From my experience Indigo DJ outperformes Transit by quite a big margin, of course I used DJ line out to headamp not headphone out.

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 17
I haven't had any experience with the Transit, I can only expect the Audiophile USB to completely outperform the Transit in terms of analogue transmission if Transit << Indigo DJ

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Interesting

One question, how big is the m-audiophile physically? Its only a criteria of mine as even a little extra is a hassle to move from London back to Manchester (uni)
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Edit: found your post on 'pictures portable rig', but its hidden in the back. Just compare it to say an iPod or something well known would be great. Thanks

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 17
Sorry, I'm in HK atm and all my Stax and M-Audiophile is in Scotland
biggrin.gif
Anyhow, the Audiophile is pretty small and carrying it around shouldn't be a problem at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back