Need a budget home amp
Dec 22, 2006 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

spiN

Head-Fier
I have a 5-disc JVC CDP sitting at home (I'll get the model number when I get home), but my receiver is shot. So I figure I'd at least kinda start getting a better home setup going rather than doing everything through my computer at home. Basically I'm just trying to see what my options are. My budget is perferably like $100-$150 (sorry, I'm a college student
frown.gif
). Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh and by the way, do better IC's really make that big a difference? Because I'm going to need some decent IC's as well.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 9
the GoVibe5 is well within your budget and highly regarded by many here. Do a search in upper right search box in this subforum.
Aditionally, it would afford you dual use both home and on the go!

You can easily buy too much amp and not take full advantage of it due to our choice of source. lots of folks use these at home with the walwart with good results. That is why I believe the GV5 would be appropriate and have extended value to you in your mobil application, should you decide further out to aquire a dedicated desk top amp when more funds warrant.

Radio shack gold I/Cs are the lowest acceptable I/C suggested 'round here. However, the BlueJeans I/C are more audiophile grade acceptable used with very good equipment with good results. yes, the I/Cs are too a component in the chain and do make a difference, however quickly a platu is reached(above the price point of these examples) in terms of objective cost/benefit utility, especially when mated with lower end gears. A balanced system cost is to be kept in mind here! 10% of a systems cost dedicated to I/C is cost effective and balanced on the mid to lower end.

hope this helps~

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 9
That's super helpful, thanks dude. I'll definitely be checking into the GV5, good thing I've heard about Norm and his other ventures before so I know right where to look. However I'm not too keen on where to find these other IC's. If you could give me a hint as to which places to look I'd be more than grateful. Also I noticed that the GV5/S comes in low gain versions, however I do have some headphones that would benefit from the higher gain (HD570) although most likely I would be using my SR-60 or HD280pro. Will it make that big a difference?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a decent headphone stand? I was looking at the Headphile stands, but they appear to be a little pricey.

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 9
The LC1s are what i use and are a very good value @ $33 ; Look under Stereo Audio Cables http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Headphone racks; Search over in subforum http://www.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Lots of good ideas pics and prices
wink.gif

Also I noticed that the GV5/S comes in low gain versions, however I do have some headphones that would benefit from the higher gain (HD570) although most likely I would be using my SR-60 or HD280pro. Will it make that big a difference?

Dunno, maybe refer your question to norm?

Dec 23, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm seriously looking into the GV5 w/PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back