Need a bigger computer?
Nov 27, 2004 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
1954%20home%20computer.jpg
50 years ago their predictions were off. What do you think the next 50 years will hold? How far off is dependable, commonplace voice recognition for our computers and appliances?

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
50 years ago their predictions were off. What do you think the next 50 years will hold? How far off is dependable, commonplace voice recognition for our computers and appliances?

Well, Fortan is still in use....
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
50 years ago their predictions were off....

However, as the photo would confirm, they did foresee the future popularity of driving games. (Or did they erroneously predict the popularity of submarine-hatch-opening games?)
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 26
Wow! I wouldn't mind having that as my home computer... just look at the work those pioneers put in back in the day and it was all done with the human mind... technology will improve a lot faster these days as the "machine" helps design most of the new technology... if it wasn't for those early pioneers "brains" however there wouldn't be the home computer as we now know and love it.

The next 50 years? well, the sky really is not the limit... we can go a lot further than the sky these days.... holograms in your living room, true voice recognition..... it's all possible 50 years down the line but you'd probably have to up the size of the computer to that early one for something "really" spectacular to happen!

BTW what are the specs of that early model?? please don't say it had a 16mb hard drive with 500 bytes of RAM
blink.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 26
I guess we move fast don't we?
wink.gif

Now where's my flying car and house of next tuesday . . .

EDIT: cubeman, must you ruin our fun?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
However, as the photo would confirm, they did foresee the future popularity of driving games. (Or did they erroneously predict the popularity of submarine-hatch-opening games?)
wink.gif

LOL, good one! you sure that wheel doesn't control some kind of weird early form of cooling device?

Technician "She's about to blow Captain"

End user "have you opened the main cooling valve up?"

Technician "it's fully open Captain!"

End user "What about the magnaRAM button?"

Technician "I've given her as much magnaRAM as she can handle Captain!"

End user " Good god man there must be something you can do!!"

Technician "she's about to blow I tell you, clear the decks!!"

End user "But I simply must log onto Head-Fi and check my PM's can't you override the auto blow system you cretin I can't do without my nightly fix!!! AOL assured me that this system was foolproof and I'd be able to surf 24/7"

BANG!

seems some things just haven't improved over the years
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 26
for the future, I dont think anything will get bigger, it'll get smaller and smaller until we cant even see it.

Nov 27, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
for the future, I dont think anything will get bigger, it'll get smaller and smaller until we cant even see it.

Hopefully that prediction won't hold true for display panels
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 26
lol, it looked liked a photochop even before I read IGNGcubeman's post.
Why would you hang a 3-tonne 1950's TV like that?

But in that spirit, hear's something to be very afraid of:

computer_bomb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back