Need a 2.1 setup. $400-$500
Feb 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Right now I'm thinking about the Onkyo TX-SR603 (My friend wontbe using headphones) and I've found http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-10-Inch-300-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0044D3R6I/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt  This subwoofer in budget. Is it any good? There's then about 100-150 left for the bookshelves. Is this a good idea or too much money spent on the woofer and not enough on the bookshelves. I can get the woofer for $250 new and the receiver for $110 used.
Thanks.

I'm thinking the Primus is overkill.....but if the price is right.
Your looking at at least $175 (or more) to mail order any other sub-woofer, so the Primus is a great value.

Sometimes on eBay they sell used Infinity Beta 10s & 20s bookshelf speakers, the better forefathers of the Primus line.

For a decent sound card, Asus Xonar DG $30 (PCI) and some places have a $10 mail in rebate for the DG this month.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 22
Thanks for the reply. I thought I wont need a soundcard however. So the following will work?

Coax out to Onkyo TX SR603X 7.1 Channel Receiver which will use the receiver's DAC
Preout the Primus subwoofer (i believe it's self powered, right?)
and hook up a pair of passive bookshelves to the receiver. Any other suggestions for a pair new or used from $100-$150?

Thanks again.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I thought I wont need a soundcard however. So the following will work?
Coax out to Onkyo TX SR603X 7.1 Channel Receiver which will use the receiver's DAC
Preout the Primus subwoofer (i believe it's self powered, right?)
and hook up a pair of passive bookshelves to the receiver. Any other suggestions for a pair new or used from $100-$150?

The Primus PS 410 is self powered.
The Onkyo's sub-woofer out is a single RCA and the Primus's input is two RCAs, but I believe you only need to connect one of them.

Newegg is selling the Yamaha RX-V371 receiver for $170, free shipping.
I believe it's brand new, not a refurb.... ITS NEW....Two year warranty.
Blu-ray audio support.

Yamaha 2010-2011 design
Onkyo 2005 design

Newegg also has the Polk Audio Monitor 30 series II for $80 free shipping

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
The Primus PS 410 is self powered.
The Onkyo's sub-woofer out is a single RCA and the Primus's input is two RCAs, but I believe you only need to connect one of them.

Newegg is selling the Yamaha RX-V371 receiver for $170, free shipping.
I believe it's brand new, not a refurb.... ITS NEW....Two year warranty.
Blu-ray audio support.

Yamaha 2010-2011 design
Onkyo 2005 design

Newegg also has the Polk Audio Monitor 30 series II for $80 free shipping

Thanks for your help. Unless there's a significant difference between the two receivers, I think I'd rather save the 60 bucks. Looks like I'll go with the Onkyo, Primus and Polk bookshelves.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
Thanks for your help. Unless there's a significant difference between the two receivers, I think I'd rather save the 60 bucks. Looks like I'll go with the Onkyo, Primus and Polk bookshelves.

I'm too tired to look up anything else tonight to find logical reasons.

Check the website TechBargins and Bountii, Those two sites are good for finding the best prices on Polk Audio and other stuff.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #22 of 22
From what I understand, the BIC America F12 is absolutely one of the best subs you can get for under 200 or even under 300.  It's not in that price point where everything starts becoming good, but it's still not garbage, either.  It can be had for 180usd.

A good used avr can be had for around 50-100usd.

Good entry level passive bookshelves from reputable companies like PSB, Paradigm, Energy, Bowers and Wilkins etc can often be had for around 250-300usd.

All things considered you can get something decent for around 500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back