Need a 2.1 setup. $400-$500
Feb 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Fordy314

New Head-Fier
Hey, my friend's looking for a "kick-ass sound system" which means he wants some nice speakers with a nice sub I'm sure. He's looking to spend about 400-500. I don't know a whole lot about setting up a nice computer setup, as I have some logitech speakers for mine, but here's what I was thinking so far

Audioengine A2's or A5's with a sub
or [size=x-small]Swan D1080MKII 08 [/size]with a sub
He also needs a sound card, so I was gonna tell him just to get a ~$50 Asus sound card along with it.

So I guess what I'm looking for is comments about my idea(s) and most importantly what he should get for a sub. Also, I would need to know of any amps/wiring that he would need, as I don't know much about it.

Thanks.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 22
$50 could land ya a slightly dated/used but still good to go coax/optical AVR so just pass digital out from onboard mobo sound and leverage on the DAC of the receiver. i would then pump a huge portion of the budget to solid passive bookshelf and sub. Good musical subs aren't cheap so again used market to land something decent. This solution also gives room for 5.1/surround if that matters
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 22
If he wants a decent setup for the price, Onkyo HTX-22HDX, can go for just over $200, comes with Digital optical and HDMI inputs.
Do not need to buy a sound card, you can hook it up to the computer's on-board optical output or with the HDMI (if the monitor has an HMDI input).

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 22
You could also get something like the fiio d3.

Do you want active or passives?, passive you could get something like the Infinity Primus P163BK , Dayton Audio APA150 to drive them and Dayton Audio SUB-100 , or actives Yamaha HS50M or HS80M and Dayton Audio SUB-120 .

Avoid the audio engines there are much better speakers for the money.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 22
I am using the setup JRG1990 suggest and like it a lot so far. Minus a sub for now. I plan on running two Dayton Audio SUB-80s in the near future. I got the Infinity Primus P163BKs for $85 each online and the Dayton amp for $158. So that gives you room to pick up a nice sub, even after the $50 soundcard.

Keep in mind the P163s are large. I have heard a lot of good things about NHT Superzero 2.0s and are a bit smaller if space is an issue.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
If he wants a decent setup for the price, Onkyo HTX-22HDX, can go for just over $200, comes with Digital optical and HDMI inputs.
Do not need to buy a sound card, you can hook it up to the computer's on-board optical output or with the HDMI (if the monitor has an HMDI input).

I would agree. For the money you get a lot out of the Onkyo. If you want to add a bit over $200 as your budget is more than that you can get the satellite package for it with a central and two effect speakers and you get yourself a nice HT package. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
$50 could land ya a slightly dated/used but still good to go coax/optical AVR so just pass digital out from onboard mobo sound and leverage on the DAC of the receiver. i would then pump a huge portion of the budget to solid passive bookshelf and sub. Good musical subs aren't cheap so again used market to land something decent. This solution also gives room for 5.1/surround if that matters
tongue_smile.gif

This seems like the way to go. Looking at used receivers now. Do any of these support coax input?

http://usa.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/rx-v592/?mode=model
http://usa.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/rx-v530_black__u/?mode=model
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/r-v905/?mode=model

Any of those I could probably get for around $85-$95

Some Onkyo's I'm looking at are about $110-$120

Onkyo HT-R520 AV Receiver
Onkyo TX SR603X 7.1 Channel Receiver
Thanks

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 22
In line with my comments in another thread, I rather doubt you can have a "quality" 2.1 system for under $500.  I'll limit my comments to active systems, so I'll say that an entry-level "quality" subwoofer starts at around $400.  The laws of physics are still in effect, so bass--the real thing, not the boomy hyped up 100Hz band--still requires ample amplification, large enclosures and big drivers.  There's still no free lunch.

As much as I like my Yamaha HS50Ms, I would not recommend them without the subwoofer.  Without the sub, their bass extension barely reaches 100Hz.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
In line with my comments in another thread, I rather doubt you can have a "quality" 2.1 system for under $500.  I'll limit my comments to active systems, so I'll say that an entry-level "quality" subwoofer starts at around $400.  The laws of physics are still in effect, so bass--the real thing, not the boomy hyped up 100Hz band--still requires ample amplification, large enclosures and big drivers.  There's still no free lunch.

As much as I like my Yamaha HS50Ms, I would not recommend them without the subwoofer.  Without the sub, their bass extension barely reaches 100Hz.

Yes, I already understand that, and it's even been posted in this thread, hence trog recommended some used items to get the best in the budget. Quality wasn't what I asked for in the OP, but if I didn't make it clear, my friend isn't anywhere near an audiophile, he's just looking for the best speaker setup he can get with his money and he likes a bassy sound signature. Again, I understand nice subs cost a lot and will not fit into his budget, but that doesn't mean that there aren't speakers and subs that will.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
This seems like the way to go. Looking at used receivers now. Do any of these support coax input?
http://usa.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/rx-v592/?mode=model
http://usa.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/rx-v530_black__u/?mode=model
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/r-v905/?mode=model
Any of those I could probably get for around $85-$95
Some Onkyo's I'm looking at are about $110-$120
Onkyo TX DS575X 350 Watt Receiver
Onkyo HT-R520 AV Receiver
Onkyo TX SR603X 7.1 Channel Receiver
Thanks

Some Yamaha receivers come with Silent Cinema, which provides surround sound for headphones.
You can also run a digital optical cable from the motherboard's optical output to the optical input on the Yamaha.
So you do not have to buy a sound card, for now.
Usually somewhere a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 30s bookshelf speakers are on sale for under $100.
Velodyne VX-11 sub-woofer is usually on sale some were for $175.

I like Onkyo receivers, but they do not come with surround sound for headphones.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 22
Thanks for the replies. Right now I'm thinking about the Onkyo TX-SR603 (My friend wontbe using headphones) and I've found http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-10-Inch-300-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0044D3R6I/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt  This subwoofer in budget. Is it any good? There's then about 100-150 left for the bookshelves. Is this a good idea or too much money spent on the woofer and not enough on the bookshelves. I can get the woofer for $250 new and the receiver for $110 used.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back