Need ~$300 HD600 Amplifier
Jul 18, 2003 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

klipschter

Head-Fier
I know this must have been asked at least 600 times but I keep getting different ideas from different forums.

I am going off to college and will not be bringing my receiver with me that I currently use as my headphone amp so I need to get one.

I have $300 ish dollars waiting to buy me a headphone amp, but if I can get something for $150, obviously that would be grand.

The main source for the amp will be my 30gb iPod. All tracks are at least 192kbps with the majority (>2000) being 320kbps and all were ripped by me with care, no bad rips in otherwords.

So, what is the best amp for this price range? I was looking at the Headroom Little, Xcan2, Meire Audio OTL, Creek OB1 etc etc. (i am sure i have most of those names off a little).

Of those, which would you recommend? Is there something I did not put that I should have? Portability is not that important, but if there is a portable as good as a non portable, go for it.

Thanks.

Jul 18, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 21
Would also consider adding META variants to your list of options... there are several headfiers who now make METAs for others.

(NOTE: I have not heard these builders versions of the META... just am pointing out other options. I HAVE heard METAs with Senn HD 600 and the sound was verry nice! Do a search here to read the reviews of others for yourself)

Check out Fiddlers amps

Or those from HeadSave

Or contact JMT or Tangent or any of the other DIYFSOE folk here to get one configured for you.

Can get a nicely configured META to match your specific needs.

Can also browse the For Sale section of this site. Can find some very good deals on (generally) well cared for equipment. For example, there's an interesting hybrid amp available in your pricerange here.

Good luck!
Bruce

Jul 18, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks! I am really liking this one. This is the hybrid one you posted about, thank you greatly BTW. Both of you
smily_headphones1.gif

tubehybrid.jpg

Does anyone have info on this guy? (the amp that is)

Jul 18, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 21
My Corda HA-1 works great with my HD600s. It is a significant step up from old X-CANv2.

Jul 18, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 21
I sent Sp00n and email, this is what I asked, did I miss anything?

"Who made this amp?
Is there a model number?
How much was/is it new?
Where are you located (zip code for shipping costs/time)
How would you describe it with the HD600's?
Why are you selling it?
Specs wise, what does it compare to?
Sound wise, what does it compare to?
Maintenance, any? (I know tubes are special guys)
And shots of the inside?

I have a PayPal Premier account directly connected to my checking account. I am verified with my email address, mailing address, ss number and bank account, pretty certified
smily_headphones1.gif

Why would I want this amp over a Corda HA-1, an Antique Sound Labs MG/OTL, X-Canv2, a Creek or the Headroom Little even a Meta42. Those are the ones I am looking at right now. I am ready to buy very soon, but I like to be very informed as to why I am spending my money for something.

How heavy is it?
Is it a very solid peice or are there any loose parts to it?
Is the POT stiff yet smooth?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I have been disappointed once before and I just don't want to miss anything this time around.
smily_headphones1.gif
"

If you have reasons why I should go one way or the other with any of the amps you guys so gracefully suggested, please type away!
280smile.gif

Jul 18, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 21
Oh sorry. I forgot that the price went up when the mk2 came out. Not sure but if its $395 ... You may want to go for a used one. Ive seen them go for $200. Im not sure if the upgrade to the mk2 will be worth nearly double the price. Although i really have no clue because ive never heard it.

Jul 19, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 21
Although I am not allowed to tell you the price, you might consider the philly audio headphone amplifier. It is a fully functional preamplifier with both high and low impedance outputs. IT has 4 tubes, 2 EL84s in the output position and two ECC88s in the input position. It has a choke filtered, tube rectified power supply and has a stepped attenuator. I am going to post my review either tomorrow or on Sunday, but you can be assured it is a good buy. Try www.phillyaudio.com. They have a picture of its lesser sibling the 7b v2 preamp on the site. The headphone amp is similar in appearance except that it has output transformers and is much heavier. The manufacturer is based out of new york and is a nice guy. the contact info is available from the website

Jul 19, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 21
Hi Justin.

Avoid the original HA1. It's pretty detailed and solid sounding. But there is some Bass lacking in the lower end (like a cut off). With Crossfeed on it even gets much worse. Another bad thing: Sound lacks "life". It's *very* sterile. That's my experience...

I own the x-can v2. Would not buy it again except it could get I for a pretty low price. At first, the sound was amazing. It was just FUN. But like other owners, you probably will eventually explore it's inaccuracies. There are some details missing and there are very annoying distortions, at least with the stock tubes. Bass is also a bit weak, as the sound is in overall. You probably will find yourself disappointed and tweaking after some time.

I cannot give a recommendation. Note that the handling of solid state amps is more convenient. No need to leave in on all time, no "heating", no spare pieces.

Herbie

Jul 19, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 21
Well, I just recently purchased a MG Head OTL MkII from Upscale Audio for around ~$340 shipped, which is at least a little better than $395. If you do decide to get it from them, Kevin is a really nice guy to deal with (though I think he is going on vacation soon).

Jul 19, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 21
MG Head is a very, very good amp with the 600's. Used MG Head OTL (verified as good by previous owner) w/ some upgraded tubes would still come in under budget, and surpass most other offerings in this price range IMO. An excellently equipped Meta42 could also be made, and still be under budget. Use the money to save up for a good source
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

Jul 19, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 21
I think this amp is a go guys. I love the sound of tubes and the speed of Solid State, this is as close to both as I will be able to go unless I had the money for a tube preamp and a solid state amplifier... oh well!

spaktro, is'nt that amp like $1000 USD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back