Need ~$1000 comfortable closed back headphones
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MakubexGB

100+ Head-Fier
After trying the Aeon Flow RT Closed and the Focal Elegia, and not being completely satisfied by either, I decided to bump up my budget. Both are fairly comfortable (the Elegia just need its pads replaced for nicer ones but, that's easy enough), however, sound wise they weren't quite what I wanted.

I currently have the Beyerdynamic T5 3rd Gen. I do like their sound and they nice and light BUT, the cup doesn't quite go around the ear completely. It pinches the bottom of my earlobe, enough to bother me during long listening sessions. So sadly, they're probably going back.

I haven't jumped on headphones like the LCD-2 or ZMF Atticus because of their weight. I need headphones that I can have on for hours comfortably.

So my requirements are: Closed back, comfortable and around $1000.

Would you all help me out with some recommendations?

PS. I've also considered the Aeon 2 Closed but, I worry that they'll feel like they have too small of a sound stage, too closed off and in your face. That's one of the cons I found with the Aeon Flow RT, and I know the Aeon 2 are different and more akin to the Ether but, I've seen comments about that still being a thing.

I will be driving them with a schiit modius/magnius balanced stack.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 16
The only one closed-back headphone I can recommend might be the Amiron Wireless (Copper). It may feel heavy because of 380gr (400gr for the Copper version), it's very comfortable. Or you might get the Geekria earpads cover to enhance the comfort of your T5.3. I use them too for my T5p.2 and Amirons.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 16
Look at Denon's closed back line, and possibly Audio Technica.

What didn't you like about the Elegia?

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 16
A2C don’t project wide soundstage. If that’s important to you, move on to something else.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 16
Look at Denon's closed back line, and possibly Audio Technica.

What didn't you like about the Elegia?
I might not describe it properly but, to me they sounded too distant. Where the Aeon Flow could be too intimate, the Elegia could be the opposite. They also didn't punch as much as I'd like but, that was minor. They still had some punch.

A2C don’t project wide soundstage. If that’s important to you, move on to something else.
It is. Thanks for the warning.

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 16
Take a Denon D7200 and some Stax 009 pads and you're good to go. :wink:
The stock pads of the D7200 are a bit small, at least for me. :wink:
The D7200 is a bass cannon without losing its clarity and great mids.
Highly recommended for what you've mentioned earlier.

With the 009 pads, there should be plenty of room for larger ears, which i prefer too.
That's why i love my SEM5 with its plush and tall pads.
But the SEM5 is more of a very neutral performer, best suit for acoustic/ classical music.
Wished i could use them on my D7200, but they're a bit to large to fit perfectly.

All the best on your hunt.
Chris

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 16
SEM 5 are awesome and respond very well to EQ for some amazing sub bass. Which pads did you try on the Elegia? Dekoni Elite sheepskin are fantastic.

These are both better for me than Sony MDR Z1R and Z7M2

I want to try some Denon AH-D9200 and maybe stax pads also.

p.s. forgot to say fostex th900 dekoni elite sheepskin pads work great on the SEM5

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 16
I might not describe it properly but, to me they sounded too distant. Where the Aeon Flow could be too intimate, the Elegia could be the opposite. They also didn't punch as much as I'd like but, that was minor. They still had some punch.

It is. Thanks for the warning.
Usually when someone says a headphone sounds distant it is because it has a wider soundstage and intimate is one that doesn’t have a wide soundstage so the music is more upfront and in your face.

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 16

With the 009 pads, there should be plenty of room for larger ears, which i prefer too.
But the SEM5 is more of a very neutral performer, best suit for acoustic/ classical music.
Wished i could use them on my D7200, but they're a bit to large to fit perfectly.

Chris

The Denon AH-D7200 are my current favorite headphone, using Dekoni sheepskins. I wouldn't go as far as "bass cannon" but they're definitely stronger in terms of bass than the traditional audiophile "neutral to bass shy with 'sparkly' treble" sound signature.

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 16
unless I missed it. It would probably help to hear what what sound you are looking for. I wouldn't count out ZMF. I know they weigh a lot but they don't feel that they do.

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 16
SEM 5 are awesome and respond very well to EQ for some amazing sub bass.

p.s. forgot to say fostex th900 dekoni elite sheepskin pads work great on the SEM5
I agree with, but for one they could tend too much to neutral, i guess.
Don't play with eq so far, bc i like it as it is. :wink:
I like the extended soundscape of the SEM5 also, in mind that it is a closed back headphone.

How does the sound alter with the dekoni pads on the SEM5? Any experience with?

Thanks for heading up with. :)

Have a great day.
Chris

Sep 18, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 16

Chris
I appreciate the recommendations. I did look into the D7200 but having come from the Denon D2000 (which I like), I wanted to try something different, even though at the time it was (I think) Fostex making the headphone, they still have a very similar form factor (not saying the sound is). That said, I might have to revisit that option.

What headphones are the SEM5? When I look for "SEM5 headphones" I only find IEMs.

unless I missed it. It would probably help to hear what what sound you are looking for. I wouldn't count out ZMF. I know they weigh a lot but they don't feel that they do.
Hmm, sound? Hard for me to describe. I'll be using this headphones for everything. Music, games, youtube, etc. Noted on ZMF. If the shipping time wasn't up to 3 months, I might consider them more. But the bulk on top of the long wait time is a big turn off. Honestly, the wait time turns me off more than the weight. :sweat_smile:

SEM 5 are awesome and respond very well to EQ for some amazing sub bass. Which pads did you try on the Elegia? Dekoni Elite sheepskin are fantastic.

These are both better for me than Sony MDR Z1R and Z7M2

I want to try some Denon AH-D9200 and maybe stax pads also.

I tried the stock Elegia pads, which I don't love. I immediately looked up replacement pads after trying them but I wouldn't replace them unless I'm sure I'm keeping them.

I'm also interested in the Focal Bentley Radiance coming out next month. The price seems right if it's an improvement over the Elegia.

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 16
It's the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5, which in short is called SEM5. :wink:

Worth a look, but for shaking bass you've to use an eq on the very lows.
It doesn't have the crunch of the D7200 out of the box you're seeking for, maybe.
But all in all the SEM5 has better clarity, soundscape, slightly better fine detail in the high frequencies, imo.
Never tried eq on SEM5, but with this driver all shoud be possible, i guess. ^^

It's a bit heavier with around 480g, but the weight is well distributed due the comfortable pads and the headband.

I've never listen to a zmf, so i can't commend on that. :wink:

Have a great day.
Chris

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 16
I must admit, after applying equalizer settings close to what Resolve uses on the Focal Elegia, they sound much better. The best way I can describe it is they sound much cleaner and less "echoey". I'm liking them better now. I might just keep these. I'll keep an eye on the Focal Radiance too but for now, I think these will do fine. Still open to trying others, though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back