Need 1/4" Panel Mount Jack Help
Apr 29, 2014 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

willne1

Head-Fier
I want to put a jack in the wall like this :

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-rean-nys230-1-4-stereo-jack-non-switched--092-124

Would this be good or is there something better to use? Also what do you use for stress relief for the wires on the back side so they aren't just hanging down? I'm a newbie at this and would appreciate any help from you guys.
I was planning on using Canare Star Quad L-4E6S unless you have a better idea. I will have a male TRS jack on the other end for the amp. This will just be going into a plastic plate on a 2x4 interior wall.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm not sure I fully understand what your project is, could you possibly explain it a little bit more? What are you trying to "build", an amp? just a socket? Is this getting build into a wall in your house?

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for asking...I want to run an extension cable from my rack where my amp is down into the basement and come up inside the wall near my chair and install the jack in a plate that is in the wall now. So I need a 30' cable with a 1/4" male plug for the amp on one end and I would solder the other end to the wall jack and drill a hole in the existing plate to mount it. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 9
I would use some cat5 cable and solder the twisted pairs as a single wire... blue/blue white as one wire, orange/orange white as one wire... blah blah. That solid core wire should carry the signal just fine. Keep it away from AC wiring if possible. Keep the foil shielding covering as much of the twisted pairs as possible.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 9
No need for support, let em hang. Maybe tape them to the wall under the jack just in case they get pulled but

Users who are viewing this thread

Back