Neco Soundlabs Mosfet + portable, unboxing
Feb 5, 2011 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Proglover

Progressiveus Drummeus
I just have to make this topic, because I'm very enthiusiastic about this English guy and his amps.

I already heard and read wonderful things about Neco and his amps. He sells a 9v portable and a 18v portable, built like a tank, with rechargeable batteries included and a charger. He also sells a Mosfet headphone amp. All his amps can be bought upgraded with the AD8610. 

I was looking for a better portable plus a nice new amp to go with my SACD player in the living room. I was thinking about a Meier portable and an M-stage, until I found out about this guy. Had some recommendations of his stuff and contacted him. Finally decided to go with his English hand made Mosfet over the Chinese M-Stage, and took his portable as well. I just had a good feeling with this.

His dual mono 9v portable sells for 71.5 British pounds, 15 extra for (2x)AD8610
His Mosfet sells for 145 pounds, 15 extra for the AD8610
I got some discount for buying 2 amps at the same time
redface.gif

He shipped them this tuesday to Holland and today, two days later, they arrived:

Just wanted to share my enthiusiasm. They are packed very carefully, built is very nice (very strong case) and the seller is very patient and kind with any questions you have (no I don't work for him).

The portable is charging at the moment, listened to the Mosfet for half an hour. Compared to my E7/E9 combo, I have to say it's immediately clear that the sound is more transparent, cleaner, less 'warm-coloured'.

I'll post more listening impressions later if wanted, when I spent some more time with them. But on first experience, highly recommended in this price range!

(ps. Adam, if you read this and I know you will, thanks for getting me into Neco's amps my friend! I'm very glad you advised them to me.)

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 9
mmm nice, would love to see inside the bossfet ^_^

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 9
Feb 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 9
silly me :D looks well made, thanks :)

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 9
How does the mosfet compare to the E9 in terms of raw power? If you go to 9 o clock on the E9 dial, what is the equivalent on the neco?

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
How does the mosfet compare to the E9 in terms of raw power? If you go to 9 o clock on the E9 dial, what is the equivalent on the neco?

actually, 9 o clock E9 is comparible with 10 o clock NECO mosfet.
Both have more then enough for my 300 ohm Senns, don't have 600's at home.

So far I've been listening with the 650's, Neco's amp (AD8610) gives it more transparency and E9 relatively more warmth. Because 650's have already enough on that, I'm liking the synergy of the Neco with the Senns a bit more. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 9
For what it's worth, I've got Neco's 18V "portable" amp. It is very difficult to describe, in words or pictures, the solidity of the cases that Neco uses. These things feel like they would survive a nuclear holocaust and - to my eyes at least - the black cases are flat out sexy. When I first got my 18V amp, I didn't want to put it down. It felt so incredibly good in my hand that I didn't want to let it go.

These amps are serious value for money. Don't get me wrong, the E7, E9 and uDAC-2 are all also excellent value for money, but those are mass-produced items and likely made in Asia. The Neco amps are hand-made by Neco, in England, in his spare time. And the sound...well, since I used to own an E7 I can vouch for the fact that the Neco amps are much more neutral than the E7 (though I have never heard an E9). I can also confirm that the Neco 18V amp is in (at least) the same class as the Graham Slee Novo and the Meier Audio Corda Move that I previously owned, despite costing roughly 1/2 as much. After comparing the Neco 18V to the others, I sold the others and kept the Neco. Build quality, features and price were more than enough to convince me.

BTW, Neco really is a great guy to deal with. Can't recommend him highly enough. He will set the gain on your amps to whatever you want (the 18V even has two user-selectable gain settings) and will also perform custom modifications if requested. He changed the input on my 18V amp from a 3.5mm line-in on the front to a set of RCA/phono inputs on the back for no extra charge. Amazing customer service.

It really is a shame that his amps aren't better known...

Best regards,
Adam

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
For what it's worth, I've got Neco's 18V "portable" amp. It is very difficult to describe, in words or pictures, the solidity of the cases that Neco uses. These things feel like they would survive a nuclear holocaust and - to my eyes at least - the black cases are flat out sexy. When I first got my 18V amp, I didn't want to put it down. It felt so incredibly good in my hand that I didn't want to let it go.

yes, recognizable
biggrin.gif

(the silver also looks beautiful by the way)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back