neckband/streetstyle/etc phones under 100USD?
Jan 17, 2006 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

g2tl

Head-Fier
ok, i've done a bit of research and it seems like the koss ksc55 and pioneer se-n7 looks good.
haven't found much about the pioneer one but i heard some grumbles about koss breaking easily. i guess its life-time warranty makes up for it though (not sure about the pioneer one).
i've used ex71, panasonic's canal (hje50 i think), and sennheiser's mx400. ex71 failed me for no particular reason after less tahn a year and so did hje50 (well this one i accidently pulled the cord alot... so maybe that's why). so i'm basically tired of this replacing cycle. so i want something durable but portable (eggos are not considered portable on my standards... px100/200 are barely on the line).
i've also read somehting about the pmx100/200 from sennheiser. how are they? i can only find them from ebay now.
i commute everyday in busses and subways so i need something that will hit my ear kinda directly so that i dont have to turn on the volume every time im in a station. i generally listen quietly than the most (at least compared to the people i know/heard of) so the output isnt a problem. i'm not a basshead either, but do love that tight bass if i can get it.
obviously, i'm not expecting a pair of portable headphones to sound as good as my for-home mdr7506... but the more the better, under 100
tongue.gif

i'd really appreciate your (that's everyone in here!) help
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks.

Jan 17, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 18
Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet, and if you can wait until March, Grado should have some new Grado Streetstyles, right up your alley!

Jan 17, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 18
You joined Head-Fi almost a year ago, this is your first post. Wow!

Since you need isolation and you want something highly portable, why aren't you considering IEMs? I believe ER6 and E2C are both under $100.

Jan 17, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 18
If you want truly decent streetstyles, the Sony MDR-G74SL's are the ticket.

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 18
JAGOREV
ugh... not a fan of over-the-head headphones. thx for the rec though

JAHN
what's the model number for grado street style? does it not exist yet at all or just not in us?

SOCRATES63
haha yeah i joined a long time ago. i was gonna post a question about iems but found the best bang for the buck myself, namely rp-hje50... (got it for free after rebate too =p)
the reason i'm avoiding iems = i listen to music even on the busy streets of nyc. haven't got into any accidents yet but i think i might wanna start caring about my life =p

SUPERBALDGUY
not really a fan of sony =p
but how does it sound compared to the one's i've used though? and durability is something i need. is it rock solid? or does it at least come with a nice ass warranty?

PS
any comments on ksc 55 and pmx200?

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
how about KSC 35/75 or portaPros? Nice and bassy, great for rock. (imo of course)

cant find ksc35 under 30... and 75's can be had for under 20...
but i heard something about the sound quality degrading from 35 to 75
and portapros just look... wierd (i mean, i dont really mind the looks usually but that thing just... looks weird)

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 18
PMX100 are very, very good indeed. I have the PX100 and I cannot recommend them more! (The PMX100 has the same drivers as the PX100)

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 18
KSC-35 to KSC-75 is not a downgrade. Koss KSC-75 has excellent sound quality. It's the exact same driver as the KSC-55, but in a clip-on package. This means it's less likely to suffer from the breakage or discomfort problems associated with the KSC-55. At $12, it might be the best buy among all headphones.

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chics LI
What is meant by "Street Style"?

I think it means headphones with headbands that go behind the back of your head or neck (horizontally), rather than over the top. It also usually implies something with flashy silver coloring.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by g2tl
JAGOREV
ugh... not a fan of over-the-head headphones. thx for the rec though

JAHN
what's the model number for grado street style? does it not exist yet at all or just not in us?

i'll respectfully answer for jahn...there is no model number yet and it has not been released anywhere. grado has a mention of it on their website (no pictures) and john grado mentions it in the interview. many of us are very interested in these street-styles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back